On this page:
Pharos is a software package that provides "hold-and-release" printing. Normally, when you print a job, it is sent directly to the printer. Under a hold-and-release system, when you print a job, it goes into a queue where it is held until retrieved by you at a "release station". MIT aims to reduce the cost of public printing by eliminating waste and encouraging deliberate printing, without unduly reducing access or increasing cost to students.
- Keeps the user mindful about printing choices.
- Security that protects printed information.
- Reduces cost and waste.
- Mobile printing.
Before you begin, please be sure you are connected to MIT Secure.
- Select the printer "mitprint" or "mitprint-color" (from a print dialog box or the command line).
Set up Pharos as an LPR network printer on Ubuntu ( Your username on your computer must match your MIT Kerberos username for this option to work.)
|Instructions are for Ubuntu 14.04 but should readily translate to other distributions on Linux.|
Use MobilePrint's web application. It's a fully responsive app that lets you release jobs to any Pharos printers on campus without having to swipe your ID or use the touchscreen.
Most printers are located in MIT's dorms. A few can be found in the MIT Libraries and other locations.
- See MIT Printer Locations for the complete list.
- All MIT Kerberos Account holders can print with Pharos. However, Affiliates would need to request that their MIT ID Card is linked to the Pharos system. This link is automatically done for staff and students, but not Affiliates. Affiliates must request this link be created via the MIT Card office in order to print to Pharos.
- The current quota is $300 per year. For more information see Is there a print quota or charge for printing?.
- Printing is a shared resource; restraint must still be exercised when using printers to ensure fair access for everyone to this important service. Violation of these rules can result in loss of printing privileges.
- Can I get a Pharos printer for my lab, department, or student group?
- Can I integrate an existing printer into the Pharos system?
- Enabling two-sided Pharos printing on Mac
- Extra step to setup Pharos Popup on Mac OS X 10.9 Maverick
- Failed to contact the Popup Server
- How can I obtain an MIT ID card to release my print jobs?
- How can I print in color?
- How do I release a job from the Pharos Omega touch panel?
- How do I uninstall the Mac Pharos client?
- Pharos Release Station Errors
- Pharos Server internal error - Unable to retrieve balance, your account is not active
- Print Duplex by Default on Pharos
- Unable to contact an LPD service on the Pharos Print Server
- What happens to my Pharos print quota when I graduate?
- When I swipe my card, Pharos says "internal server error" or "Unknown card ID"
- When I swipe my card, Pharos says "Logon ID may not be blank" or "Logon invalid"
- When I use the Pharos client on Windows, I get an error that says "Failed to connect to host PHAROS-PRODP1 on port 28203"
- Why is a print job stuck in the queue saying "popup - caught exception"?
- To report a problem with a printer or the Pharos system send mail to CopyTech at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure you include your username, the name of the specific printer, and any error messages you received.
- Mail you send will generate a trouble ticket and you should receive a ticket reference number almost immediately.
- Examples of the kinds of things to report:
- Printer out of paper or toner.
- Printer physically broken
- Printer is stuck on a job or not accepting new jobs.
- Printer is displaying an error that won't go away.
- Your card does not work on Pharos or you get an error when you swipe.
- Your account quota needs to be reset
- To get help with printing from an application on Athena, contact Athena Consulting as you would for other Athena software questions
- To get help setting up a network printer on your Mac or Windows computer contact the Computing Help Desk as you would for other Mac or Windows questions
|Additional escalation information for Help Staff can be found here: