|Do not use MIT GUEST|
You cannot use the MIT GUEST wireless network to print to the Pharos printers.
If your computer is connected via WiFi, you must be connected to the MIT SECURE or MIT SECURE N wireless networks.
|Usernames must match|
Like all methods that involve setting up Pharos as an LPR printer, these instructions require that your local username match your Kerberos username. For users who do not want to change their username, please see Install Pharos client on Mac OS X or the advanced users section below.
These instructions will step you through setting up an LPR printer on your Mac (Mac OS X) which will allow you to print to the Athena Pharos hold and release system.
- Go to the Apple menu and select System Preferences...
- Select the Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax) preference pane.
- Click the + sign below the list of printers to add a new one.
- Select the IP icon to switch to the tab for IP printers.
- Choose or enter the following settings:
- Protocol: Line Printer Daemon - LPD
- Address: mitprint.mit.edu
- Queue: bw
- Name: MIT B&W Pharos Printers (or a similar descriptive name)
- Location: (Leave blank)
- Print Using: Generic PostScript Printer
- Click the Add button.
- You will get an Installable Options dialog box:
- Check the box next to Duplex Printing Unit (all Pharos pilot printers have duplex units)
- Click Continue.
For the color printer, you can repeat the same process, but change the Queue to "color".
This method only works if your Mac username exactly matches your MIT Kerberos username. Otherwise you will be able to send jobs to the Pharos printers, but not release them! If your Mac username does not match your MIT username, please see Set your Mac up to print by installing the Pharos Popup client instead