On this page:
- How to Share Files and Folders on Desktop Apps
- How to Share Files or Folders in OneDrive for Android or iOS Mobile Devices
- How to Share Files and Folders in OneDrive for Windows Mobile Devices
- Moira Lists and OneDrive File/Folder Sharing
- See Also
- Have Questions or Still Need Help?
Sharing files and folders is one feature of OneDrive. For more information on One Drive, visit MIT OneDrive Landing Page.
- Login to OneDrive with your MIT Kerberos ID and Touchstone Authentication. To login, visit the OneDrive page.
- While working with desktop apps such as Word, Excel, or Powerpoint, select the Share icon in the top right.
Result: The cloud sharing window will open with sharing options.
- Select the permissions for the item you are sharing. Select the down arrow, and decide who you want to give access to the file or folder. You will have several options to choose from:
- Anyone: Anyone who receives the link has access to the file or folder.
- People in the MIT organization: Anyone at MIT who has the link can access the file or folder.
- People with existing access: Use this to send a link to someone who already has access to the file or folder.
- Specific People: Only people that you specify have access to the file or folder.
- Allow Editing: This option allows people with access to the file or folder to make changes to it.
- Set expiration date: The link will only work until the date you set.
- Block download: Only available if you disable the Allow editing option, this means people with access to the file or folder cannot save a local copy.
Result: The file or folder will have the access settings that you select, and the group you select will have the sharing preferences which you selected.
- Type in the name or the email address of the person you want to share with, and add a message.
- Select send.
Result: The group which you selected will be given access to the file or folder, and they will receive an email with your message.
- You can also select Copy Link and share the link in your own message or another file.
Result: The link to the file or folder will be copied to your clipboard for you to paste in another location.
- In the OneDrive App, select the file or folder you want (press and hold to select it), and then select Share. If you just want to send a copy of a file instead of sharing, click Send a Copy.
Result: The cloud sharing window will open.
- Enter the names of the people you want to share with and add a message.
- Follow steps 3-6 from "How to Share Files and Folders on Desktop Apps".
For more information on sharing files or folders in OneDrive for Android mobile devices, visit Microsoft's Sharing Files or Folders in OneDrive for Android Mobile Devices page.
For more information on sharing files or folders in OneDrive for iOS mobile devices, visit Microsoft's Sharing Files or Folders in OneDrive for iOS Mobile Devices page.
- In the OneDrive for work or school app, open the file or folder you want to share and tap Share. To share multiple files or folders, tap Select, tap the items, and then tap Share.
Result: The file (s) and folder (s) you tap will be selected, and the share window will open.
- Under Invite People, tap where it says Type a name or email and enter the person you want to share with. Tap Add to enter more names.
Result: The names entered will be added to the list of people who will have access to the file or folder.
- If you want the recipients to be able to add changes or edits, check the box at Allow editing. Uncheck that box to make the file read-only for the recipients.
Result: The people with access to the file or folder will have the editing privileges that you select.
- Tap Send.
Result:The recipients get an email message with a link to the document.
- When someone shares a OneDrive file or folder with you, you typically get an email message or notifcation on your windows device. To find the files shared with you in the OneDrive app, tap Menu --> Shared.
Result: The shared window will open.
- The Shared view includes files shared with you and files you have shared with others. When signed in with a personal OneDrive account, tap a sharer's name to find the files shared by that person.
For more information on sharing files and folders on Windows mobile devices, visit Microsoft's sharing files and folders on Windows mobile device page.
- In addition to sharing files and folders with individual users, you can also choose to share them with Moira lists.
- For more information on Moira lists, visit the Email Lists Landing Page.