On this page:
IS&T provides and supports two email list services: Athena/Moira and Mailman. It is best to know the differences since each has its pros and cons. Before deciding, more information on the benefits, features and differences between the two services can be read on the IS&T Email Lists page.
To create an email list through either Moira or Mailman, visit the IS&T Set up a Mailing List page.
- To create a class participant list, fill out the IS&T Class Participant List Request Form.
Moira serves as MIT's system of record for:
- Users (Kerberos, AFS, LDAP, Active Directory, Hesiod, Warehouse)
- Lists / Groups (AFS, LDAP, Active Directory, Hesiod)
- Networks, Hosts & IP address assignments (DNS, AD, Hesiod)
- Printers (CUPS, SAP)
- File systems (AFS, Hesiod, a tiny bit of NFS)
- AFS file-sharing capabilities.
- Provided upon request to Athena users.
- Appropriate for small groups of people.
- Messages sent to these lists are forwarded to all recipients.
- No filtering, moderation or spam processing is performed.
- Managed by you directly using the Moira interface or via WebMoira.
For information on Moira, visit Moira Technical Overview.
To manage a Moira list, visit the WebMoira List Manager page.
- Edit moira lists using WebMoira
- How can I create a group?
- How do I administer an Athena (Moira) list or group?
- How to reset a moira list
- Powerpoint Presentation on Moira
- How do I opt a machine out of the MIT campus-network firewall using Moira?
- Moira error "No Such User" when creating a list
- Why does my Moira list name appear as the sender name in my Exchange email client?
- What are the auto-created Moira lists for Canvas and Stellar sites?
- Allows moderation/list filtering.
- Allows archiving.
- Permits list subscription, moderation, and filtering.
- May be configured so that people can add themselves, or you can either add or approve additions.
- As the administrator of a Mailman list, you will be expected to periodically use the Mailman web interface to manage your list, e.g., you may need to delete span that may be held due to the moderation rules you set up.
For information on how to use Mailman, visit Mailman electronic mailing lists.
- How can I view the members of a mailman list - ?
- How do I set my Mailman list to never hold anything for moderator approval?
- How to tell if a list is a mailman list
- Preventing Unsolicited Email from Getting to Your Mailing List Members
- restrict who can subscribe to a Mailman list
- Unsubscribe from mailman list
- What is the password to administer my Mailman list?
- When I go to httpmailman.mit.edumailmanlistinfo the page won't display
- How can I tell which address on my list is bouncing?
- How can I add or remove myself from email lists?
- How can I create an email list?
- How can I tell whether a list is a Mailman or Moira list?
- How do I contact the owner or maintainer of a list?
- How do I send mail FROM a mailing list when using Exchange?
- How do I send mail FROM a mailing list when using Outlook 2011 for Mac (Exchange)?
- How do spammers get a mailing list address?
- I need to distribute a file to recipients on my email list. Should I send it as an attachment in e-mail?
- Maillist delivery problems
- My mailing list is getting a lot of spam. What can I do about this?
- What is the difference between Moira lists and Mailman lists?
- What mailing lists (moira or mailman) am I on?
- Why do I keep getting bounces for spam messages from mailing lists I'm on?
- [hd:(47836433, 'Record already exists') while creating a Mailman list in Listmaker]
|Additional escalation information for Help Staff can be found here: