On this page:
The following tools are a collection of collaboration tools used by the MIT Community. These allow people to share files, communicate and collaborate online no matter where they're physically located.
Before you can begin using MIT tools and resources remotely, there are a few things you should do first to ensure you can access and authenticate to MIT services.
- Ensure you have high-speed internet access wherever you plan to work remotely.
- Use tools such as speedtest.net or your internet provider's support tools to determine if the speed of your connection meets the needs of video conferencing tools such as Webex or Zoom.
- Install MIT Certificates on any devices you plan to use remotely.
- Set up Duo Authentication a device you will have with you when you're working off-campus.
- Install the Anyconnect VPN on devices you plan to use for remote access off-campus.
- Do a test run of all tools, services or features before relying on them for any institute activities. This allows you time to troubleshoot any issues that arise before you're relying on them for your work.
IS&T licenses many tools and services for collaborating. These include cloud storage, file sharing, instant messaging, web conferencing and more.
MIT's course management system. It is a platform for learning, course management and collaboration, serving the entire MIT community. It includes class-based discussion forums, file sharing, assignment turn-in, and grading functionality.
- Stellar and LMOD Course Management Systems
- Stellar and LMOD Landing Page
- Stellar User Guide
- LMOD User Guide
Explore the features and costs of cloud sharing options at MIT at: Data Storage and Collaboration Options
- Dropbox - Includes Dropbox Paper. Cloud storage and collaboration tools.
- Microsoft's OneDrive - Cloud storage
- MITGoogle Drive - cloud storage and file sharing
- How can I connect to the Athena dialup servers?
- Fetch - File transfer between your device and Athena
- Secure CRT/FX - File transfer and remote access to Athena
- How do I configure remote access on my computer? - Remote desktop
- How do I acquire an MIT Broadsoft Cloud softphone for remote work?
- MIT Slack Enterprise Grid
- Wikis.mit.edu - collaboration and file sharing
- Webex - web audio/video conferencing and screen sharing
- Zoom - web audio/video conferencing, screen sharing, and whiteboarding
- GitHub - code sharing/distribution.
- A Visual Git Reference - helpful documentation for understanding the service.
- G Suite for Education Landing Page
- Zephyr - instant messaging
Contact the IS&T Service Desk.