Be sure to save the packing material your equipment arrived in so you can use it to return it at the end of the loaner period.
- Power on your iPad.
Result: The Welcome Screen will appear.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to begin setup.
Result: A language selection screen will appear.
- Select your language.
Result: A country selection screen will appear.
- Select your country.
Result: A setup options screen will appear.
- Click "Set Up Manually".
Result: A Wi-Fi options screen will appear.
- Select a Wi-Fi network to connect to.
Result: Activation will begin.
- Wait a moment for online activation to begin.
Result: The Apps & Data screen will appear
- Click "Don't Transfer Apps and Data" to continue, or restore from existing backup if you prefer.
Result: MIT's Remote Management screen will appear.
If instead of the MIT Remote Management screen, you see a message that says "Unable to Activate" and "Try Again", it is likely an intermittent error connecting to Apple's servers. Please try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, make sure you can connect to the internet on your Wi-Fi with other devices, and try rebooting your iPad by following Apple's instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210631
- Click Next to accept enrollment in MIT's Remote Management.
Result: On the Remote Management screen, there will be an option to enter your MIT kerberos name and password.
- Log in with your MIT kerberos name and password.
Result: The Touch ID options screen will open.
- Click Continue to set up Touch ID now or select "Set Up Touch ID Later".
Result: The Create a Passcode screen will appear.
- Create a passcode for your iPad lock screen. This must be at least 6 digits.
Result: The Apple ID screen will appear.
- If you have an existing Apple ID, you may log in with it here. If you do not have an Apple ID, click on the "Forgot password or don't have an Apple ID" link. You can then create a new Apple ID or choose to continue setup without an Apple ID.
If you are creating a new Apple ID, it is recommended to use a personal email address, not your MIT email address.
Result: The Location Services screen will appear.
- Choose whether to enable Location Services. MIT recommends enabling Location Services.
Result: The Appearances options page will appear.
- Select the appearance you prefer for iPadOS.
Result: The home screen will appear.
- Your iPad is now configured. Swipe up to go to the home screen and begin using your new iPad.
- You'll notice the Self Service app on your home screen. That is where you'll find software provided by MIT.
It may take a few minutes before Self Service and other apps begin to automatically install.
- Computing Equipment Loan Program FAQ
- Computing Equipment Loan Programs Landing Page
- Student iPad Loaner Program Landing Page