On this page:
- What are the terms and conditions for getting a Student Loaner iPad bundle?
- How many pieces of equipment can I request?
- My country of residence isn't on the loaner form. Can I still get loaner equipment?
- When will I get my equipment? And what shipping address should I use?
- What should I do with my packaging?
- What is included in the Student Loaner iPad bundle for undergraduate students and TAs?
- What do I do if my equipment is lost or stolen?
- Do I need a cost object to borrow equipment?
- What happens if I don't return my equipment or if it's significantly damaged?
- How do I return my equipment?
- Can somebody else submit the request form for me?
- Where can I get help?
- See also
- Limit of one iPad bundle per undergraduate student or graduate TA per academic term.
- The iPad, Apple Pencil, and case must be returned within four weeks from the conclusion of the term. If the iPad will no longer be needed at a date prior to the end of the semester, it can be returned ahead of time. Details about the return process will be shared at a later date, prior to the end of term.
- If a loaner iPad will be needed beyond the academic term, please contact us at 617-253-1101 to make arrangements.
- Failure to return the iPad bundle by the due date or significant damage to the iPad may result in a charge for replacement of the device being assessed to your student bill and a loss of eligibility to participate in the loaner program in the future.
- If the iPad is damaged, lost, or stolen, please contact IS&T via telephone at 617-253-1101 or via email to email@example.com to report the incident and to discuss options.
- IS&T will utilize Apple’s Device Enrollment Program (DEP) to image iPads to contain all necessary software to support the teaching and learning tools needed over the academic year. IS&T will manage all devices in accordance with MIT policies, including MIT Policy 13.2 on the use of information technology resources. No geofencing or location tracking will be enabled on any deployed iPads.
- Use of unauthorized applications on these iPads with the intent to alter the software or firmware (i.e. “jailbreaking”) is prohibited.
- IS&T and MIT are not responsible for any loss of any information stored on the device due to hardware or software failure, or the user’s failure to remove information (work or personal) from the iPad prior to returning the device. IS&T recommends storing any files in cloud-based applications, such as Dropbox, instead of locally on the iPad. Apple also provides options for backing up iPads: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977
- The iPad bundle includes a protective case. The case must be installed and remain in place on the iPad at all times.
- Students will be subject to all applicable MIT policies while using the loaned iPad, including, without limitation, the MITnet Rules of Use and the Mind and Hand Book.
A student can request one of each type of device. You can request both an iPad bundle and a laptop.
Yes, IS&T will still provide you loaner equipment even if your country is not listed. Provide your full mailing address with street, city, country, and postal code. Also be sure to include a telephone number where you can be reached in case there are any additional questions.
Your equipment will be shipped to you before the start of the semester. You will be prompted to provide a valid shipping address and a phone number during the request process. Please use the address where you currently reside.
Submitting the request form will generate a ticket in ServiceNow (IS&T’s ticketing system) and provide you with a confirmation email, which will give you a way to continue to communicate with us on your request, should any circumstances change. This includes changes of shipping address.
You will receive an email confirmation (to your MIT email address) from the shipping company with tracking information once available.
Save it. It will be used to return your equipment.
- iPad Air WiFi + Cellular-capable (data plan not included), 10.5” retina display, 256GB storage capacity
- Apple Pencil (1st Generation)
- STM Shell Duo case for iPad Air
- For more information, see Apple's iPad Air Specifications.
iPad components and model are not upgradeable.
Contact the IS&T Service Desk immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-253-1101. IS&T will remotely lock down the iPad to protect sensitive data.
Faculty do need a cost object to borrow equipment for tracking purposes. Undergraduate students and TAs do not need a cost object to borrow equipment.
Your bursar's account can be charged the cost of the equipment if you do not return equipment or if it is returned significantly damaged.
Please contact the IS&T Service Desk with questions at email@example.com or 617-253-1101.
The return process will incur no cost for the participant. To initiate the return of borrowed computing equipment at no cost to you, submit this form: https://ist.mit.edu/loaner-return-form
No, each participant must agree to the terms and conditions using their own MIT Identity.
The IS&T Service Desk can help you with advice and assistance in:
- Installing and troubleshooting apps for MIT classes or work.
- Lost, damaged or stolen equipment.
You can contact the Service Desk at:
|Due to the evolving Covid-19 situation, IS&T Service Desk walk-in IT help and repair services will not be offered in the Atlas Service Center until further notice. If you have questions or need assistance, contact the IS&T Service Desk at any time 24/7 at 617-253-1101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.|