Q: What is stored in an MIT Personal Certificate?
Information stored in the certificate includes:
- Your "real name" as defined in your Athena account information
- Your email address @MIT.EDU
- The expiration date of your certificate
- The words "Massachusetts Institute of Technology"
- The name of our state (Massachusetts)
- The internationally recognized country code for our country (US)
- A 2048-bit RSA public key, uniquely created when you visit ca.mit.edu
- A serial number, uniquely identifying the certificate
It is not possible to obtain the following information directly from your certificate:
- MIT ID number
- Account class (i.e., staff, student, etc)
- anything else not listed above
Each site that uses certificates handles them differently; however, most use the email address field to look up information that they need (such as MIT ID number, etc).
Feb 03, 2016
You can go to https://web.mit.edu/certificates/test/ to see the contents of your certificate.