On this page:
- You want to install the Debathena-standard metapackage on your personal computer.
- You have followed the pre-installation instructions and met the requirements on How do I install Debathena on my personal computer?.
- This article will explain the steps involved in using the interactive command-line installer. If you wish to install the metapackage manually, see How do I install Debathena manually?.
- Open the command line.
The following steps will be executed on the command line. If you are unfamiliar with the command line, you can refer to IST's guide on Working with the Command Line.
- Make sure your Ubuntu or Debian package is up to date.
You might be prompted for your personal computer's password. Follow the on-screen instructions to update your Ubuntu or Debian package.
- Download and execute the Debathena installation script.
Follow the instructions on Installing Debathena .
- Select the standard metapackage that you wish to install. Enter the keyword workstation at the prompt.
- Review details of your installation. Press return to confirm and continue.
- Choose whether you want to install OpenAFS from a PPA (personal package archive) maintained by the OpenAFS team. Press return or enter Y to install OpenAFS from a PPA (recommended).
- Configure your GNOME Display Manager (GDM).
The default option lightdm is recommended. To learn more about the different display managers, see lightdm (Ubuntu Wiki) .
- Choose whether you want to start hddtemp daemon on system boot. You are recommended to choose No (the default option).
- Congratulations! You have successfully installed Debathena-workstation.