On this page:
Windows is the operating system designed and produced by Microsoft Corporation. IS&T currently supports Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows Server Software.
Windows Server is a group of operating systems designed by Microsoft that supports enterprise-level management, data storage, applications, and communications.
IS&T recommends that Windows users subscribe to the MIT Windows Automatic Update Service (MIT WAUS) to get the latest service packs and security patches. Visit the MIT WAUS web page for detailed instructions on how to subscribe.
IS&T supports DLCs joining the centrally maintained win.mit.edu Windows Domain. Computers in win.mit.edu are automatically subscribed to MIT WAUS.
To download the Windows Server Software, visit the IS&T Server Software page.
Available network options are limited to DLCs with machines residing on an IS&T-provided and supported MITnet segment, where IP addresses and associated hostnames are centrally-issued and maintained through IS&T.
If your office meets any of the following criteria, contact us to discuss appropriate solutions:
- Private (physical) subnet on or connected to MITnet
- Private IP address range in the MITnet IP address range, issuing and maintaining its own IP addresses in that range
- Private DNS subdomain under [*.]mit.edu, issuing and maintaining its own host names within that DNS subdomain
- Private ISP (other than MIT/IS&T) to connect to the Internet, and has addresses outside of the MITnet IP address range
- Machine is at an outside agency on a non-MIT network
- Individual DLC computer is located on a private ISP other than MIT/IS&T
Note: There are options available for home and roaming/mobile computers running a supported Windows operating system that do not allow for a blanket support statement. Contact us for more information.
- Windows Server Platforms at MIT - Containers
- Windows Server Platforms - Group Policy and win.mit.edu
- Windows Server Platforms - Joining Clients to win.mit.edu
- Windows Server Platforms - Printer-to-Driver Mappings
- Windows Server Platforms - Sharing Resources
- Windows Server Platforms - User and Group Management
- Windows Server Platforms - win.mit.edu Extensions to Group Policy
- Windows Landing Page
- Microsoft Campus Agreement
- [archive:Windows 7, Office 2010, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2, and SQL Server 2008 End of Life (EOL)]
- WIN.MIT.EDU Landing Page