On this page:
Poll Everywhere is an enterprise-wide online polling platform that allows anyone with an active MIT Touchstone account to host interactive remote activities as well as capture feedback during virtual classes, meetings, and events. It supports interactive activities on nearly any internet-connected device and is integrated into MIT's Canvas LMS (learning management system).
Polls can be embedded within the presentation or a web page and updated in real-time. Advanced features include texting questions and comments to a presenter, responding via the web, and SMS interactivity. It can also be used to obtain metrics on participation and as an attendance-taking tool.
For more information, see Poll Everywhere overview videos.
To request a Presenters License, email email@example.com.
Use your MIT email address and Touchstone Authentication.
- Access directly at: https://www.polleverywhere.com/login
- Supported Browsers
- When prompted for email or username, enter your full email address and click Next
- On the next screen, click the Log in with MIT button
Your course must be published and have a start date in the past in order to use Poll Everywhere within Canvas.
- Customize your Settings (Preferences)
- Customize your username and the URL of your response page
- Poll Settings
- Embed an Activity
- Poll Everywhere Canvas Integration guide
NOTE: All Canvas course instructors will see the options to configure Poll Everywhere activities within Canvas modules, however only users with a Presenters License will be able to create and embed the activity.
- Essential Presenter Guide
- Instructor Guide
- Take Attendance Online
- Presenting from the Web
- Activating a Poll
- Locking and Unlocking Polls
- Instructions View and Results View
- Sharing Live Results
- Import Students
- Import Questions
- Remote Resources
- Best Practices
- Setting Up a Template
- Create & Manage Activities
- Activity Pages
- How People Can Respond
- SMS Text Messaging Responding
- Multiple Choice Questions
- Open-Ended Questions
- Ranking Questions
- Clickable Image Questions
- Surveys (multiple questions at once)
Only registered participants can participate in MIT's Poll Everywhere activities.
- Student Guide
- Getting Started
- Responding to Questions
- Participating with Poll Everywhere Mobile Apps
- Introduction to Reporting
- Creating a Report
- Grade or Score Responses
- Download Participant List
- Gradebook Report
- Participant Response History
- Report Options
- Canvas Integration Guide
- Download a Report CSV file
- How long will my poll remain active?
By default, questions will remain active for one day after you activate them unless you deactivate the poll manually. You can also change your default poll activity time in your settings. For more, see:
- Who can participate in MIT Poll Everywhere Activities?
That depends on your settings for the activity. If you would like to restrict it to only registered participants. All participants must be imported via CSV or the through the MIT Canvas LMS integration.
We do not recommend using the "Participant self-registration" option because students will not be restricted to only using @mit.edu email addresses. If the wrong email address is used to respond, this may cause errors/issues with exporting graded responses into the MIT Canvas LMS.
- Can I have multiple polls/activities active at once?
No. There is only one active poll at a time. You can deactivate or lock a poll at any time to enable you to start another one or use surveys to ask multiple questions at a time.
- Does Poll Everywhere's canvas integration require a course to have a set end date?
Poll Everywhere says this is a requirement, but testing with MIT Canvas has shown courses with the standard end of term end date or no end date work without issue. This may change in the future, so be aware that setting an end date may be necessary if you are experiencing issues.
- I got a warning message about a pop up window being blocked when using the Canvas and Poll Anywhere integration. What do I do?
There should be a button on the page to open the Poll Everywhere activity. Click that and you should be taken to the activity without issue.
- Why am I unable to grade or score responses?
Graded and scored responses are only available for multiple choice and clickable image activities. Registration is also required for graded and scored responses. Registration settings can be updated on a per-activity basis, or from within the the poll settings
- I'd like my TA to have access to the Poll Everywhere activities for class - how can we do that?
Poll Everywhere Teams allow a group of presenters the same level of access and visibility to an activity (or set of activities). Teams can be created by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the requested team name and kerberos usernames of team members.
- Poll Everywhere Support Center
- Contact Poll Anywhere:
|Additional escalation information for Help Staff can be found here: