Q: How do I change my operating system's default application for opening PDFs?
To set a PDF viewer as the default on Mac OS X:
- Select any PDF file. Control-click to open the menu, and choose File > Get Info.
- From the Open with: drop-down menu, select your preferred application, such as Adobe Reader or Preview.
- Click Change All button, and in the subsequent dialog box, click Continue.
To set a PDF viewer as the default on Windows
- If no other PDF viewer is installed, once Adobe Reader is installed, it becomes the default.
- To set a preferred PDF viewer as the default:
- Windows 7:
- Follow the menu path Start > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program
- Highlight .pdf, then click Change.
- Choose your preferred PDF viewer, such as Adobe Reader.
- In Windows XP
- Follow the menu path Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types.