What version of Java should I run with TSM?
Note: Code42/Crashplan is the recommended backup solution for most users
- Code42/Crashplan is a user-friendly backup solution available for all MIT community members, and replaces Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) as the recommended backup solution for individual users.
- For individual users who have not yet migrated to Code42 and for administrators of server machines using IS&T's enterprise service level agreement, read below for TSM's Java Runtime Environment requirements.
TSM on Windows
- Upgrade to the latest Java 7 version.
- Note that Code42/Crashplan is the recommended backup solution for individual users.
TSM on Mac OS 10.7 and higher
Note that Code42/Crashplan is the recommended backup solution for individual users.
- Download and install the latest Java 7 version..
- [Download and install TSM 7 for Macintosh
TSM on Mac OS 10.6
Awareness: Java 6 is no longer receiving security updates from Apple.
- For Mac OS 10.6 and lower, Java 6 is packaged with the Macintosh operating system. Java 7 is available only for Mac OS 10.7 and higher.
- Use Apple's Software Update to upgrade to Java 6 update 45. (Apple >> Software Update)
- Apple has not released security fixes for Java 6 update 45 and known security issues exist.
- Apple's recommendation is to upgrade your operating system, then install Java 7.
- Contact the IS&T Help Desk