On this page:
- For MIT community members: Inviting guests to campus
- Requirements for issuing Tim Ticket invitations
- How to send an individual Tim Ticket invitation
- Tim Tickets for Events
- For guests and visitors: Accepting and using a Tim Ticket invitation
- Troubleshooting and FAQ's
- Have Questions or Still Need Help?
Tim Tickets is a visitor pass system, part of the MIT Atlas suite of applications developed by Information Systems and Technology (IS&T).
Effective December 1, 2022, campus building access guidelines have changed. Visit the IS&T website for current building access details.
- MIT community members may use the Tim Tickets feature within the MIT Atlas mobile app to invite guests to access designated campus building entrances.
- Invited guests use the Tim Tickets mobile app to accept an invitation and register for a visitor ID, valid for 7 days.
- MIT alumni may use the Tim Tickets mobile app to activate a digital version of the MIT Alumni ID.
Visitors can use their ID to access campus between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m., seven days a week, as noted on the map. Note that certain time-restricted buildings do not permit weekend visitor access.
A single visitor pass is valid for a period of seven consecutive days. That window of time can be scheduled in the future, it does not need to start immediately.
There are two ways to issue a Tim Ticket invitation to a guest so that they may activate their MIT visitor ID.
- Individual - Create an invitation for an individual using the People tab. This will send the individual a personal link to register.
- Event - Create an event using the Events tab, then distribute the link or its associated QR code to invitees. Every invitee can use the event link to register.
- Requires an active MIT Kerberos account
Both visitor and event passes are issued and managed using:
- The MIT Atlas mobile application (for iOS 14+ or Android 7+)
- The Tim Tickets visitor administration website provides access to create via a computer web browser when mobile is not an option.
- Both require an MIT Kerberos account.
Individual visitors can be invited to register for a visitor ID by a community member with an active MIT Kerberos account.
- Open the MIT Atlas App > Tim Tickets or the Tim Tickets visitor administration website
- On the People tab, click the Add button.
- Fill out the Invitee screen. Contact number (if mobile) and email address will be used to deliver a PIN code.
- Click the Invite button.
Result: The Tim Ticket appears in the people tab. The invitee will receive an invitation right away, but must enroll in Tim Tickets.
Note: The contact number and email address entered will be associated with a unique invitee and can not be re-used for another invitee. The invitation will be sent to both the email and mobile phone number.
- To issue more invitations, click the Add button.
The Tim Tickets system can be used by event organizers to invite multiple guests to register for a visitor ID they can tap at building entrance card readers.
Events taking place in buildings open to the public require no visitor passes for door entry. For events between the hours of 6 a.m. and 7 p.m in MIT buildings not open to the public, or taking place on weekends or holidays, the Tim Tickets system may be used to invite multiple guests to register for a visitor ID. You may personally escort and take responsibility for a small number of guests (approximately 6) without using Tim Tickets.
For current access details including maps, visit the Building Access page on the IS&T website.
Screen shots are from the web interface. The mobile application also offers very similar functionality and steps.
- Open the the Tim Tickets visitor administration website or MIT Atlas App > Tim Tickets.
- Click on the Events tab, then Add or New Event (if there are already events listed).
- Fill out the event details.
- Click Add.
Result: The event has been created and is shown in the list of events.
From the Tim Tickets visitor administration website or Tim Tickets feature in the MIT Atlas mobile app:
- Open the Tim Tickets visitor administration website or the MIT Atlas App > Tim Tickets
- Tap or click Events > the event listing > Share Event.
Result: The QR code and link for the event is displayed. They can be shared to publicize the event on posters, email, social media and more. When invitees scan the QR code or go to the link, they will be taken to the Tim Tickets system to register for their individual visitor ID.
This event QR code or link will not allow visitors to scan into the event directly. They must follow the link and use Tim Tickets to activate their visitor ID.
In order to be issued a pass, visitors must:
- Have a non-MIT email address (not email@example.com) e.g. @gmail.com @verizon.net
- Provide contact information (name, phone number/email address).
The MIT Tim Tickets mobile application is available for iOS 14+ and Android 7+.
When an individual receives a visitor pass invitation or event link/barcode, they will be taken to the Tim Tickets app or website to enter their information and get their own personal MIT visitor ID for entry into buildings and events.
Example of a visitor pass invitation:
- Click the Get My Tim Ticket button. For an event pass, click the event link or scan the QR code.
Result: The Tim Tickets app or website opens.
- Click on Visitor.
- Enter your mobile number.
Result: A PIN code will be texted to that number and sent to email on record.
- Enter the PIN code sent to your mobile device.
- Enter your contact details.
- At the Tim Ticket Registration acknowledgment, click on, I’m ready! Let’s get started
- Review the acknowledgment form and click Accept.
- Follow the in-app instructions to activate an MIT visitor ID
- Who can see the personal information entered in order to receive a Tim Ticket?
Can admins get a list of people who have signed up for a Tim Ticket for their event?
- After enrolling in Tim Tickets, how does someone correct/update personal information?
In Tim Tickets app: Click on the image of Tim or their own photo to update personal information.
- Will Tim Tickets give my visitors access to any interior doors or elevators?
No, you will need to escort your visitors from the exterior doors wherever they need to go inside.
- Are there any additional requirements for inviting international visitors to campus?
No, it is the same process for domestic and international visitors.
- Can I invite a list of people to visit campus?
Individual visitors must be added individually. Event attendees register themselves using the event link.
- My visitor says they didn't get their invite, where is it?
Encourage your visitor to check their spam, junk, promotions and any other locations their email provider may automatically filter messages it believes to be automated. If they still can't find it, you can resend the individual invite by selecting the Tim Ticket and clicking on Resend Invite for visitor pass or by resending the event QR code or link. Instruct visitors to add firstname.lastname@example.org_ to their safe sender list.
- Can I share the QR code for my event?
Yes, you can share the QR code or link to your event (not to be mistaken by the individual QR codes for Non-MIT event attendees).
Open Tim Tickets and go to Events > Select Your Event > Share Event. You can screenshot the QR code for sharing in email, on posters, via social media or however else you advertise your event.