Access Keys:
Skip to content (Access Key - 0)

MIT Travel Registry FAQs

What is the MIT Travel Registry?

The MIT Travel Registry collects trip-related data, such as itineraries and contact information, for MIT students, faculty, staff, and affiliates. This enables MIT to identify and contact travelers in a particular area where health, safety, or security are threatened. MIT's Travel Registry is not used for non-emergency travel-related assistance, such as notification of transport delays, cancellations, re-bookings or reporting lost luggage.

Who administers the MIT Travel Registry?

The Program Manager for International Safety and Security oversees use of the Travel Registry. This important tool enables designated Institute staff to help MIT manage risk associated with off-campus travel. The designated staff use the registry to determine whether MIT has any travelers at risk and, if needed, to communicate with any potentially affected travelers to check on their well-being or offer assistance for medical or security emergencies.

How do community members use the MIT Travel Registry?

All MIT students, faculty, staff, and affiliates have access to the Travel Registry. Registration is required for all MIT business travel. Students participating in certain organized programs are required to register their MIT sponsored or financed off-campus travel.

Registration allows travel registry administrators to identify the potentially affected travelers during emergencies and to contact these travelers to verify their well-being. The Registry will also be used to send travel advisories and risk notices.

For general instructions on using the Travel Registry, see the MIT Travel Registry page or watch a brief video showing the steps to register your travel here

To enter trip information for someone else as a proxy, please contact a travel registry administrator

How do I log in to the MIT Travel Registry?

You must have a Kerberos ID to log into the Travel Registry. If you do not have a Kerberos ID, any MIT faculty or staff member can sponsor a temporary guest account valid for the duration of the trip via this form (MIT certificates required).

You may want to bookmark the Travel Registry site for future use.

Should I register a personal trip?

While MIT business travel is the primary focus of the registry, as an additional benefit, faculty and staff leisure travel, as well as student personal deviation travel (up to 14 days either before, or upon completion of travel related to academic pursuits), may be recorded in the Travel Registry. If you choose to register leisure travel, MIT will include you in a well-being check if you are in an impacted area.

International SOS information and assistance is also available to faculty or staff for international leisure travel. You can learn more about the program by watching the MIT Assistance Abroad course in the MIT Learning Center.

MIT's Office of Insurance maintains business travel accident coverage for faculty and staff that extends to leisure travel. Students are covered by Study Abroad Health Insurance for emergency medical expense coverage (coordinated through International SOS) while on academic travel and during personal deviation travel. Please contact the MIT Office of Insurance directly if you have questions.

Should I register a trip within the U.S.?

If you are traveling with a group within the U.S., verify with your school or program whether the trip has been registered by a department administrator. If it hasn't been registered or you're not traveling in a group, you can register the trip yourself.

While the MIT Travel Registry will include domestic off-campus travel data, in case of emergency, travelers must contact local emergency responders by dialing 911 in U.S. states and territories. International SOS assistance does not cover domestic incidents.

When should I register my trip?

It is advisable to register your entire round trip once you have approval from your department or program, even if you have not purchased your tickets or don't have a complete itinerary. You can update your trip and itinerary if there are changes.

Please update your contact information if your U.S. mobile number will not be used overseas and you have obtained a local mobile number at your destination(s). You can update your overseas contact number by accessing your travel registry account from the desktop application.

If international student travel is to a high-risk area and requires Vice Chancellor approval, you should register once you've been notified that the Vice Chancellor has approved your travel.

Can I enter partial information?

Yes, you may enter partial information for an approved trip. You will need to save it and then complete it prior to departure. Some information may only become available once you are at your destination, e.g. local phone number and address. Please update the registry once you have that information.

How do I edit my trip?

Log into the Travel Registry website using your Kerberos ID. Click on “View Existing Registrations”. You will need to select the trip record you wish to edit from your existing registrations. To save your new or updated information, click "Submit" on the Review & Submit page.

Should I record my trips anywhere else?

While the MIT Travel Registry serves as the main collection point within MIT for travel information, all international travelers, whether U.S. citizens or not, are encouraged to sign up in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) offered by the U.S. State Department. Enrollment in STEP will enable the U.S. embassies at your travel destinations to send you safety information that can impact your trip.

MIT does not have access to STEP information.

Are students responsible for their own registration?

Yes. Students are responsible for registering themselves, unless advised by their program or department that their registration has been completed for them. If your program administrators have entered your information, you will receive an email confirmation of the completed registration.

Even if your program processed your registration, you are still responsible for signing the electronic Student International Travel Risk Acknowledgment form for all international travel and keeping the information up to date (e.g., changes to itineraries or phone numbers).

If I don't register, am I still eligible for International SOS?

International SOS services are available for international travel regardless of whether you have registered with the MIT Travel Registry. Check here for more information on International SOS coverage.

It’s still in your best interest to register your trip. MIT will be unable to assist if there is no record of your travel in the Registry, as we look to the Travel Registry to locate travelers when an incident occurs.

Is Health Insurance included in the MIT Travel Registry?

No, health insurance is not included in the Registry. Please note, however, that students on international academic travel are covered for emergency medical expenses by the Study Abroad Student Health Insurance, whether registered or not.

Faculty and staff should verify with their health insurance provider about international coverage options and/or a need to purchase an international plan prior to departure.

If you have questions, contact the MIT Office of Insurance.

How do travel agencies work with the MIT Travel Registry?

MIT's primary travel agency is The Travel Collaborative, which is also the fulfillment agency when you use MIT's Concur online booking tool. MIT-contracted fares are also offered by Carlson Wagonlit Travel and ProTravel. When you use either of these agencies, and your MIT email address is in your booking, your travel information will be automatically sent to the MIT Travel Registry.

If you book outside of those agencies, using TripIT will deliver your travel information to the Registry.

Do travel registry administrators contact my next of kin in an emergency?

Travel registry administrators use information in the registry, when needed, to contact the traveler or the traveler's in-country trip contacts. In an emergency, the Office of the Dean for Student Life (for students) or Human Resources (faculty and staff) will get in touch with a traveler's next of kin. To do so, they use personal family and emergency contacts that are stored in your employee or student record. You should ensure this information is up to date in those systems. Faculty and staff can do this through Atlas, and students through MITSIS.

What do I do if I experience a domestic travel incident?

Anywhere in the USA or its territories, call 911 for local emergency response. If you are on an MIT business trip and you believe your manager or program manager should be advised of the emergency, use your discretion in informing them. If you are the victim of a sexual assault, once you have reported this to either a medical provider or law enforcement, you also have an option for confidential support from MIT’s Violence Prevention and Response at 617-253-2300.

IS&T Contributions

Documentation and information provided by IS&T staff members

Last Modified:

August 05, 2022

Get Help

Request help
from the Help Desk
Report a security incident
to the Security Team
Enter labels to add to this page:
Please wait 
Looking for a label? Just start typing.
This product/service is:
Easy to use
Difficult to use

This article is:
Adaptavist Theme Builder (4.2.3) Powered by Atlassian Confluence 3.5.13, the Enterprise Wiki