How to Register a Smart Phone for Duo two-factor authentication
In order to leverage Duo's two-factor authentication system, you must first register a device with MIT Duo.
|IS&T recommends registering at least two (2) devices.|
In case you lose one device, the second device will allow you to login to Duo and make changes to your settings or deactivate the lost device.
Registering a Smartphone
For information on registering a non-smartphone or a smartphone as a non-smartphone (useful for international students and those who don't have cellular access where they are) by scanning a QR code: How do I register an iPad, Android tablet, or other device for Duo?
- Go to http://duo.mit.edu/.
Use your MIT kerberos username and password or your MIT certificates to login.
- Click Next and proceed to Register a new phone.
- Type: Mobile
- Platform: Choose your device's platform.
- Type your phone number.
- Click Submit.
Result: You should receive a text message on your mobile phone with a unique PIN.
- Type this PIN into the web page as prompted.
- Result: You should receive a second text message on your phone that contains a link to install the Duo app and a link to activate the MIT account.
- Be sure to click the link to Install Duo first.
Result: The app store should open to the Duo app.
Install or Download the app to your phone.
- Once Duo is installed, click the link to Activate.
Result: The MIT account should be activated.