The methods used to register devices or receive Duo prompts at MIT and nearby may not work successfully outside the US.
- For alternate ways to register a mobile device see Problem with registering for Duo with international numbers.
- Duo authentication is associated with the phone number of your device. If you swap SIM cards during travel, you will not receive prompts.
- Register multiple devices in case one is forgotten or stolen or broken. You can register multiple phone numbers and mobile devices and hardware tokens.
- Anticipate mobile carrier timeouts and SMS Failures. Install the mobile application. From Duo Security: Duo Travel Guide
It’s important to remember that the Duo Mobile application can be used to generate passcodes? on airplanes or in remote regions where Duo Push, SMS-delivered passcodes, or phone callback may be difficult to use. Please note that Duo Push can use a Wi-Fi connection ?to function. If you can access the Internet from your mobile device, you can receive push notifications.
- Encode/enter international numbers correctly (must begin with plus sign followed by country code, e.g. +1 for US and Canada, +44 for United Kingdom).
- Review duo.com vendor documentation.