On this page:
As part of the ongoing modernization of MIT's telephone infrastructure, Information Systems and Technology (IS&T) has migrated from multiple legacy systems to a modern, unified, cloud-based service, Zoom Phone Service.
There are two kinds of Zoom telephone accounts, user (for individual) and service for shared lines or departments.
A primary, personal line for an individual who has an MIT Kerberos ID and a Zoom Phone license. Phone service for individuals is provided as a "softphone" (software telephone) using the Zoom application on computers and mobile devices. The account can also be connected to a physical desk/wall phone as needed.
A shared line for departments, labs, and centers (DLCs). It does not have a softclient user assigned. Phone service for a shared service account owned by a DLC can not be used on a soft phone and can be connected to a physical desk/wall phone as needed.
SoftPhone/Soft Client (app)
A software program (app) for making telephone calls over the internet using internet-connected devices. It provides a unified communications experience across mobile and desktop platforms. For Zoom Phone Service this is the Zoom desktop or mobile app.
- A device is a physical phone.
- A device can have more than one account (telephone number) associated with it.
- Each device has a unique ID number called a Mac address. This is typically located on the bottom of the phone.
- Devices are listed in the My Devices section of the Voip Management tool.
- An Account Owner can change account settings and modify voicemail settings. Account owners can also access the user web interface to make additional modifications.
- Typically, a person is the account and device owner for his/her account(s) and phone(s).
- An Account Administrator can make the same changes an owner can in the VoIP Manager application (e.g., add an owner or administrator, change a description) Voice Mail administrators can access the web portal to make additional changes to voicemail controls and settings.
- Typically a Department, Lab, or Center will designate an individual as Account Administrator for the department who will manage their DLC's telephone accounts and devices.
- A Device Owner can access their device(s) on the My Devices tab to change settings.
- A Device Owner can add or delete owners from their device(s)- including him or herself.
- A Device Owner can add or remove accounts (telephone numbers) from their device(s). They must also be the account owner of any account they add or remove.
- A Device Owner can change the order in which numbers appear on a device.
A softphone is a software program for making telephone calls over the internet using internet connected devices. The Zoom App is the softphone client supported for making calls with the MIT Zoom Phone Service system. It provides a unified communications experience across mobile and desktop platforms including Windows, Mac, iOS and Android.
- Calls to your MIT phone number will be routed to Zoom Phone Service on the supported device(s) of your choosing.
- Access all of your Zoom phone services from any device, including your desk phone, desktop, laptop, mobile or tablet.
- All Zoom communications preferences and contacts, as well as their contact information, are synchronized across devices.
- Supports 5 digit dialing to MIT phone numbers.
- Call Settings that allow call forwarding, do not disturb, and block your caller ID.
- View call history.
The following Knowledge Base articles are helpful resources for understanding the MITVoIP system.
- Zoom Phone Service
- Using Zoom Phone Service - Multiple Lines
- MIT Zoom Phone Service Call Tree Management