Access Keys:
Skip to content (Access Key - 0)

Interfaces (Cables and Connectors)


The cable that comes out of the wall jack is a UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) Ethernet cable. It is most often black and has a plastic modular end that snaps into a matching port on your computer. To see what the connectors on a UTP cable look like, examine the wires on your digital desktop phone. If you have a single drop coming from a single jack, you will use a UTP cable.

Sometimes in dorm rooms where not enough ports are available, students are given transceivers to which several computers can be connected. The cables that come off transceivers are AUI (Auxiliary Unit Interface). These cables have a metal housing and either pins or holes at the end, depending on which end you look at. They look something like a serial or VGA cable you would find on a PC.

See also



Provides definitions for common IT terms and acronyms

Last Modified:

November 21, 2019

Get Help

Request help
from the Help Desk
Report a security incident
to the Security Team
glossary glossary Delete
Enter labels to add to this page:
Please wait 
Looking for a label? Just start typing.
This product/service is:
Easy to use
Difficult to use

This article is:
Adaptavist Theme Builder (4.2.3) Powered by Atlassian Confluence 3.5.13, the Enterprise Wiki