On this page:
This article assumes that you have already installed X-Win32 and added the MIT License Key. If you have not yet done that, please refer to How do I install and activate X-Win32?.
- Go to Start Menu, and select X-Config on the left side.
- You will now see the X-Win32 Configuration window with the Connections tab active. Click on the "My Connections" folder to highlight it. Locate the "New Connection" buttons on the right-hand side of the window, and click on Wizard...
- The "Connection Wizard" will now open. Enter a name to identify the session ("Athena" is a good choice), and ensure that the "Type" of session is set to "ssh". Click Next.
- You will be prompted for a Host to connect to. Enter athena.dialup.mit.edu. Click Next.
- You will be prompted for your username and password. Enter your Athena username in the username box. Leave the password field blank, and the software will prompt you for the password each time you connect.
(IS&T does not recommend saving your password in the X-Win32 software.) Click Next.
- You will be prompted for a command to run on the remote host. From the list provided, click on Linux XTERM.
(Advanced users may customize this command.) Click Finish.
- You will now see the newly created connection in the "Connections" tab of the X-Win32 Configuration window.
Optional: If you want the Athena session to automatically launch each time you start X-Win32, you can drag it into the "Autostart" folder under "My Connections".
- Click OK at the bottom of the window to save the configuration.
- Go to Start Menu, and select X-Win32 on the left side.
If you see a window stating that a program wants to make changes to your computer, click Allow. If you see one or more windows telling you that Windows firewall has blocked connections, select all network options and click Allow access.
- Locate the X-Win32 icon in the system tray.
- Right-click on the icon, select My Connections, and then select the "Athena" connection you created in the previous step.
If this is the first time you are connecting to Athena, you will be prompted to accept the ssh key. Ensure the "Remember this key" box is checked, and click Accept.
- You will be prompted for your Athena password. Enter it and click OK.
- After a few moments, the connection will complete, and an xterm window should appear. You may now run Athena commands as you normally would.
To quit X-Win32, locate the X-Win32 icon in the system tray, as described above. Right-click on the icon, and choose Exit.