- After upgrading to macOS Sierra (10.12) and attempting to run ssh, I see an error message like:
How do I fix this?
- You are running macOS Sierra (10.12)
- You have a pre-existing .ssh/config or /etc/ssh/ssh_config file, possibly with a GSSAPIKeyExchange no setting that was previously required for El Capitan (Mac OS 10.11)
- The ssh program in macOS Sierra no longer supports the GSSAPIKeyExchange option
- Remove or comment out lines containing GSSAPIKeyExchange
For Unix neophytes here are steps to edit the ssh_config file using the vi editor on Mac:
- Press i key for vi editor insert mode.
- Use arrow keys to navigate to lines you want to delete or comment.
For example, to comment the offending line in an ssh_config script:
- Press esc
- Type :w to write the file