On this page:
- You want to install the Debathena-login metapackage on your personal computer.
- You have followed the pre-installation instructions and met the requirements on How do I install Debathena on my personal computer?.
- This article will explain the steps involved in using the interactive command-line installer. If you wish to install the metapackage manually, see How do I install Debathena manually?.
- Open the command line.
The following steps will be executed on the command line. If you are unfamiliar with the command line, you can refer to IST's guide on Working with the Command Line.
- Make sure your Ubuntu or Debian package is up to date. You might be prompted for your personal computer's password. Follow the on-screen instructions to update your Ubuntu or Debian package.
- Download and execute the Debathena installation script. Follow the instructions on Installing Debathena .
- Select the standard metapackage that you wish to install. Enter the keyword login at the prompt.
- Choose whether you want to install the debathena-msmtp-mta package. You are recommended to install the package (default option).
- Choose whether you want to install extra software packages. This is a large package and provides all the third party software that is installed on Debathena cluster workstations. If you want your workstation to be exactly like a cluster workstation, you should choose to install this package. Alternatively, you can skip this package and install individual pieces of software when you need them.To learn more about them, see Software Licenses in Debathena.
- Review details of your installation. Press return to confirm and continue.
- Choose whether you want to install OpenAFS from a PPA (personal package archive) maintained by the OpenAFS team. Press return or enter Y to install OpenAFS from a PPA (recommended).
- Congratulations! You have successfully installed Debathena-workstation.