- How do I send mail FROM a mailing list when using Outlook 2011 with my Exchange account?
- How do I send mail with a "fake" FROM address in Outlook 2011 for Mac after I have switched to Exchange?
On this page:
- Sending mail using a mailing list or email alias as the listed FROM address
- Microsoft Exchange at MIT
- Outlook 2011 for Mac configured with an MIT Exchange account
MIT's Exchange environment does not allow outgoing mail with a "fake" FROM address. This prevents sending mail with a FROM address other than the individual sender's and also prevents the re-directing or "re-disting" of mail. However, there are easy work-around for every mail client program except the web-based Outlook Web Access.
The general solution is to set up a separate email account in your mail program specifically for sending mail with this "fake" FROM address via MIT's SMTP server, rather than via the Exchange environment. This second account can be configured alongside the personal Exchange account. As an added benefit, this will still allow you to use authenticated SMTP to send these messages, preventing them from being flagged as spam and maintaining the ability to verify the sender of the message.
- In Outlook (for Mac), go to Preferences > Accounts. Make sure only your Exchange account is listed there.
- Click and hold the + sign in the lower left, and select Email... from the list that pops up.
- In the new window that pops up, enter <list-name>@mit.edu for the email address, then hit Tab to go to the next field. Hitting Tab actually makes the window refresh and now you have more fields for entering data.
- Fill in the fields like so:
User name: <your kerberos name>
Incoming server: imap.exchange.mit.edu
(leave next two checkboxes unchecked)
Outgoing server: outgoing.mit.edu
Tick the next two checkboxes and enter the number 465 to the right of where you entered outgoing.mit.edu
Then click Add Account.
- Once the "modal" window goes away, now you're looking at the Preferences/Accounts window again. Select your new "fake" account from the list on the left, if it isn't already selected. Under Account Description, enter "For Sending Only" (without the quotes), and under Full Name, put the name of the list.
- Click More options at the bottom of the window. In the new modal window that pops up, select "User Name and Password" for Authentication method, <your kerberos name> for username, and your email password for password. Click OK.
- Close the Preferences window.
- Compose a new message in Outlook 2011 the way you normally would.
- Since you have multiple accounts set up for sending now, there will actually be a drop-down menu below the From line, showing your two accounts.
- Select the "For Sending Only" account identifier from the drop-down menu
That's it! Your message is sent with the "fake" FROM address you specified, authenticated through MIT's SMTP server. From now on, to send from this mailing list FROM address, all you need to do is compose a new message and select the sender in the From line.
Note: Drafts, queued messages, and sent messages from this address will be saved in your local ("On My Mac") "Drafts", "Outbox", and "Sent" folders.