G Suite for Education is a service provided by Google that allows members of an educational institution or business to collaborate with each other, separate from their personal Google accounts. G Suite for Education offers a subset of Google apps and services to registered users. G Suite for Education is available to current students, faculty, staff and affiliates. Alumni are not eligible.
In the case of the MIT G Suite, available apps are:
|NOTE: Gmail is not provided as part of the MIT G Suite package.|
Google Apps are available to current students, faculty, staff and affiliates. Alumni are not eligible.
- Custom searches
- Switching from Dropbox to Drive
- Using Drive File Stream to store files on your desktop (Mac and Win only).
- Takeout - a tool that allows you to package most files from Drive and save as a .zip file to store on an external device or mechanism of your choice.
- Team Drives
- Team drives are available by sending a request including the business need, group or class name and a cost object (for tracking purposes only) to the G Suite Team
G Suite accounts are created on request, as the G Suite is not yet fully integrated with MIT Services.
Your G Suite account name will be configured as email@example.com, where username is your MIT Kerberos username. Your G Suite password will be something you set and is different from your MIT Kerberos password.
- To request an account or to reset your password if you've forgotten it, please contact the G Suite support team
|Self-service registration for a G Suite account is not supported|
Until MIT finishes integration work with the on-campus directory and authentication services such as single sign on (SSO), your account needs to be manually created by the Administration team.
If you would like us to create an MIT G Suite account for you to use, or if you need additional assistance, please send email to, firstname.lastname@example.org from your MIT email address.
|For Service Desk Analysts: if a customer is inquiring about a Google G Suite account, gather their information and pass the incident to the Escalations team.|
- What happens to my G Suite account when I leave MIT?
- Can I export my G Suite account to my Personal Account?
- No, exporting a G suite account to a personal account is not supported.
- What are storage limitations
- What is Google Filestream?
- How does Drive affect my DropBox account?
- There is no File Stream drive support for Linux. Linux clients will need to use Chrome or another browser.