This can be done through the cups interface.
- In a browser go to the webpage 127.0.0.1:631/printers. * Note: If you get an error message such as "cannot connect" or "web interface is disabled": start the Terminal app (in Applications > Utilities) and enter the command: cupsctl WebInterface=Yes
- Select your printer (link is in blue).
- Under Administration, select Set default options.
- Modify the options that you wish to change. In this generic example I have used the generic driver instead of HP, Dell or other so few options are available.
- Save or "set default options" is at the bottom of the list of options.
- Go back to terminal and run the command: cupsctl WebInterface=No if you wish for that webpage to be disabled, e.g. public machine.