I am trying to connect to a Windows share on windows 7, \\servername\sharename but get a "network name not found" error
When the computer restarts, the Plug and Play service shuts down before the process to enable the Microsoft 6to4 adapter to be reused is performed. Because of this, the adapter cannot be reused when it is reconnected. Therefore, a new virtual adapter is created.
If too many virtual adapters are created, you will no longer be able to access any shares, using the connection.
To check for this:
- Go to the Control Panel and click the System Icon.
- In the System window, in the left pane, click Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window click the View menu and choose Show hidden device.
- From the devices list, are there a large number of 6to4 adapters listed, in the Network Adapters section?
If so, you may need to remove these one by one, leaving just one. Unfortunately you cannot select and delete any or all of them simultaneously.
- Once these are removed, minus one, restart your machine and try the connection again.
If this works, you can download and install the hotfix for this problem from Microsoft at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980486, to ensure that this problem does not occur again.