Before you start the installation, do the following preparatory steps:
- Check your system hardware and software for compatibility using Microsoft's Upgrade Advisor tool
- Run a backup of your complete hard disk. Backup options may be an external device or network drive, TSM, or the Easy Transfer tool
You are now ready to do a clean installation of Windows 7.
Note: The installation process may take several hours to complete.
- Insert the CD/DVD for Windows 7.
- When the first Install Windows screen appears, click Next to accept the default settings as shown below.
Result: The installation of Windows 7 will start automatically.
Result: The next Install Windows screen opens.
- Click Install Now.
Result: The Microsoft Software License Terms window opens.
- Select the I accept the license terms checkbox and click Next.
Result: The "Which type of installation do you want?" screen opens.
- Select Custom (advanced).
Result: The Where do you want to install Windows? window opens.
- Select Drive options (advanced). This will allow you to delete any existing partition, create a new partition, and format the new partition.
Result: The next "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen opens.
- Do the following on this screen:
- Highlight the partition you want to delete and click Delete. Click OK on the warning screen to confirm that all data will be deleted from the partition.
- Click New. Change the default size if needed, and then click Apply.
- Click Format, which will format the new partition. Click OK on the warning screen to confirm that all data will be deleted from the partition.
- Click Next.
Result: The installation will start.
Note: The machine will restart multiple times during the installation and may take several hours to complete.
- At one point during the installation you will be asked to set up a user account and supply a computer name. Enter these in the appropriate fields.
- After creating the account you will need to set a password for the account and use the hint option to help remember the password.
- After the installation is almost complete, the "Help protect your computer and improve Windows automatically" screen opens.
- Select Use recommended settings.
Result: The Review your time and date settings window opens.
- Change the time and date to the correct settings and click Next.
Result: The Select your computer's current location window opens. Windows 7 will check your machine in order to set up with the best performance possible for the machine.
- When asked, select the correct location of your network. For installation on campus, select Public network (due to the nature of the MIT network).
- Once this is complete, the Welcome screen opens:
- You have successfully installed Windows 7.
- Reinstall the MIT specific programs that you uninstalled prior to installing Windows 7. All Windows-compatible MIT programs can be downloaded from MIT Software Distribution. Certificates required.
- Restore your personal data from the backup you created prior to the installation of Windows 7.