On this page:
Tableau Desktop is application software used to connect to data sources, to develop workbooks, to create visualizations, and to build dashboards.
There are several forms of Tableau: Tableau Desktop, Tableau Server, Tableau Reader, and Tableau Public.
Tableau Server is a repository on the web where one can publish (upload), store, and share workbooks, data sources, and dashboards.
Tableau Reader is a free tool available for viewing and interacting with Tableau workbooks. No MIT license is required.
Tableau Public is the Tableau Community’s public server where a gallery of visualizations, blogs, and eLearning videos, can accessed and downloaded for free.
To use the desktop application,
- Download the software: Go to the Tableau Desktop page. Here you will find a link and instructions for downloading the desktop software.
- Request and Activate your Tableau Desktop license:
The license key is available free of charge to MIT faculty and staff, however there are a limited number of licenses.
To use the Tableau Server go to tableau.mit.edu. and authenticate via Touchstone.
You will see a Tableau page with many Projects. These are areas that have been set up for groups to publish and share their Tableau worksheets, visualizations, etc. To obtain space on the server for a project, contact a member of the warehouse team.
To publish a worksheet to the server you will need to use the Tableau Desktop application. From the menu bar in Tableau Desktop, select Server and then Publish Workbook... See: Accessing or Publishing a Workbook to Tableau Server.
- Connect to the Data Warehouse from Tableau
- How can I connect Tableau to a FileMaker database?
- I've successfully connected to the Data Warehouse in Tableau, but I don't see anything. What do I do?
- When trying to Connect to the Data Warehouse in Tableau on a Mac, I get an error "ORA-21561 - OID generation failed"
- When I open a workbook on Tableau Server, I get an "Authenticating to Oracle" prompt. What do I do?
- How do I export data or a visualization from Tableau Server?
- How do I move a Tableau workbook from one Tableau Server project to another?
- How do I share a Tableau workbook from Tableau Server?
- Embedding Tableau visualizations on a website
- Tips for working with Warehouse data in Tableau
Tableau resources include * Tableau articles in the MIT Knowledge Base, elearning videos and documentation, training materials, user forums and blogs from Tableau.com. Follow the link to a page of Tableau Resources.
- Email requests for help to email@example.com
- Help is also available in the form of regular drop-in/practice sessions:
The sessions are all pretty informal and you can drop-in and leave whenever. If you have ideas on something particular you'd like to discuss or would like help with, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance.
|Tableau User Group||NE49-3098 - Little Cayman||Wednesday 11am-12pm||bring your own laptop, or ip address to remote desktop|
|Data Warehouse User Group||NE49-3098 - Little Cayman||Thursday 1:30pm-3pm||bring your own laptop, or ip address to remote desktop|
|Additional escalation information for Help Staff can be found here: [hd:Tableau Recon].|