On this page:
- What is Office 365?
- What Office 365 services is MIT offering?
- What is the cloud?
- What is included in the O365 Mobile Office plan?
- Who is eligible to have an Office 365 license?
- What is an Office 365 license?
- What happens if I leave MIT or I graduate?
- Where can I obtain the Office 365 apps?
- Where can I learn more on using O365 Mobile Office?
- What if I need support?
Office 365 is a subscription based plan (license) that activates over the Internet (Cloud).
MIT is offering the Office Apps for the mobile platform (devices) which includes integration with Dropbox.
"The cloud" is a friendly way of describing web-based computing services that are hosted outside of our organization. When we use cloud-based services, the IT infrastructure resides off MIT property (off-premises), and is maintained by a third party (hosted), instead of residing on a server at MIT that we maintain. With Office 365, for example, information storage, computation, and software are located and managed remotely on servers owned by Microsoft. Because this infrastructure is located online or "in the cloud," you can access it virtually anywhere with a tablet, smartphone, or other device with an Internet connection.
- Office Mobile Apps (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- OneNote is available as a separate download but does not integrate with Dropbox.
- MIT Faculty, Staff, current enrolled Students and Affiliates at MIT are eligible for an O365 license.
- An O365 subscription (or license), entitles users to premium services with future O365 offerings.
- If you leave or graduate from MIT, the account will follow the normal deactivation process and deactivate after a 30-day grace period.
- The account will remain in read only status and you can move it to a personal account.
Please visit the following articles for instructions on how to obtain and activate the Apps for your mobile device or tablet:
| Office Mobile Apps
(Word, Excel, PPT
| Office Mobile Apps
(Word, Excel, PPT)
|Windows Phone (MS Office Mobile)|
|Windows RT 8.1|
Dropbox integration for Windows Phones and Tablets is expected in Summer 2015.
- If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Help Desk, or call 617.253.1101.