Moira serves as MIT's system of record for
- Users (Kerberos, AFS, LDAP, Active Directory, Hesiod, Warehouse)
- Lists / Groups (AFS, LDAP, Active Directory, Hesiod)
- Networks, Hosts & IP address assignments (DNS, AD, Hesiod)
- Printers (CUPS, SAP)
- File systems (AFS, Hesiod, a tiny bit of NFS)
Architecture: Protocol & APIs
- Primary API: C implementation of Kerberos-authenticated RPC protocol.
libmoira: mr_connect(), mr_krb5_auth(), mr_query(), etc.
libmrclient: helper library / convenience functions.
Additional language bindings for Java (JNI), Perl, Python.
- SOAP API exists for web application use.
X.509 certificate authenticated.
Only exposes user & list related queries.
Primarily used by Web Moira.
Systems Overview Diagram
Powerpoint Presentation on Moira