You will need to get Tickets (called Kerberos credentials in previous versions of KfW) before you can use applications requiring Kerberos authentication. The MIT installation of KfW 4.0.x is pre-configured with ATHENA.MIT.EDU as the default Kerberos realm.
Please note: The screenshots below are from Windows 7, however the same steps will also apply to Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10. There will just be cosmetic differences in the actual screens displayed.
- When you start or restart your Windows system, the KfW Initialize Ticket window should open by default and you can get Kerberos credentials at that time, so they are ready and waiting when you go to a Kerberized application.
- If you open a Kerberized application and do not have credentials, the Initialize Ticket window should open automatically (although it may be hidden behind the application window).
- To initiate getting credentials, follow the steps below.
- Right-click on the MIT Kerberos (called "Leash" or "Network Identity Manager" in previous KfW versions) icon in the Notifications tray at the bottom-right of the Windows Taskbar. Or, go to Start > All Programs > Kerberos for Windows > MIT Kerberos Ticket Manager.
- Click the icon "Get Ticket".
Result: The Initialize Ticket window should appear.
- Enter your Kerberos User Name and @ (for example "kerberosname@") The realm "ATHENA.MIT.EDU" will automatically populate.
Note: "Remember this Principal" check box allows the user to type the first letter of the user name in future sessions to expedite acquiring tickets. To forget stored user names click the "Clear History" button.
- Enter your Kerberos password
- Click the "Show Advanced" button on the Initialize Ticket window.
Note: Changing these settings will adjust the acquisition of a ticket, but will not affect any existing tickets. The Advanced Settings revert to the default settings each time Kerberos for Windows is started.
- The Lifetime of a Ticket is how long the ticket is valid without renewal. MIT's minimum lifetime is 30 minutes; maximum lifetime is 1 day (excluding renewal). To adjust the Ticket lifetime move the Ticket Lifetime slider. Moving the slider to the left decreases the lifetime of the ticket, moving to the right increases the lifetime of the ticket.
- The Renewable Lifetime of a Ticket is how long a valid ticket can be renewed. MIT's minimum renewable lifetime is 10 hours; maximum renewable lifetime is 30 days. To adjust the Ticket Renewable Lifetime verify that the Renewable check box is checked
- Move the Ticket Lifetime slider. Moving the slider to the left decreases the renewable lifetime of the ticket, moving to the right increases the renewable lifetime of the ticket.
- Acquire the ticket by clicking OK.
Result: A ticket is acquired, the Initialize Ticket window closes. The KfW Icon in the Notifications Tray is now green.
- Right-Click the KFW Icon in the Notification tray and select "Open MIT Kerberos Window"
- Select the "Options" Tab in the MIT Kerberos window
- Enable Automatic Ticket Renewal by checking the Automatic Ticket Renewal check box (not recommended for security reasons)