On this page:
- How to Obtain
- How to Use
- Logging In
- Mobile Device Use
- Searching for Envelopes
- Creating Templates
- Requirements for a Template to become a PowerForm
- Sharing Templates
- Using Bulk Send
- Envelope Data
- How to Download Form Data
- How to Download Envelope and Recipient Data for Multiple Envelopes
- How to Reassign Fields to Another Recipient
- Additional Documentation
- Documentation for Developers
- Report Suspicious Emails
- See Also
- Have Questions or Still Need Help?
- DocuSign is a company that provides electronic signature technology for signing of contracts and documents. IS&T has recently completed licensing DocuSign for Business service for use by MIT faculty, staff, students and affiliates.
- DocuSign, users will be able to send, sign, track and store documents. All documents will be stored in DocuSign's cloud to track and provide an audit trail of signatures.
- DocuSign supports many document types such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PDF. Also, DocuSign can integrate with tools and business systems such as Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and Salesforce.
- For more information about DocuSign, please visit the IS&T DocuSign page.
- Drag-and-drop file upload
- One-click to use a template
- Bulk-send improvements
- A diagram for better visualization of signing order (when there is more than one recipient)
- The New DocuSign Admin includes capabilities for administrators such as audit logs
- Use Supplemental Documents to provide additional information to recipients, which does not require a signature. Examples are legal disclosures or terms and conditions. To learn more about Supplemental Documents, please see Send Supplemental Documents.
- Auto-tagging, add fields in a template automatically with AutoPlace. For more information, see Add Fields Automatically with AutoPlace
- New account home page will give users easier access to key features and actions for the MIT DocuSign account. The new home page will not impact DocuSign functionality.
- New home page will include changes such as:
- Quick access to your favorite templates to create envelopes.
- More visible dashboard counters for quick insight into envelope status.
- Ability to drag and drop files to start envelopes right from the home page.
- A dedicated area to view information about features and education.
- New Home Page Design:
For instructions on how to set up your DocuSign account, visit How can I begin to use DocuSign?.
- MIT users should access DocuSign at http://docusign.mit.edu. You must be on campus using ethernet or MIT Secure. Or use VPN if off campus.
- DocuSign is Touchstone-enabled. Once you have set up your account, you will be able to log in using an MIT personal certificate or kerberos username and password.
DocuSign can be used from an iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows 8 and Windows phone.
To find envelopes in your DocuSign inbox, visit Locate Envelopes.
- To create a new template, click on 'NEW.' If you do not see the 'NEW' option, contact the IS&T Service Desk for assistance.
- See information about Create Templates.
- See information about How do I get signatures on a document?.
- You have DocuSign permission to create and use PowerForms. To check if you have permission, go to Templates and for your template click the arrow on the Use button. Look for option Create PowerForm.
Note: If you don't have permission for PowerForms, please contact the IS&T Service Desk.
- First recipient must be a role. Name and email need to be blank for the first signer.
- A document is uploaded to the template.
- Template fields have been added/tagged for each signer role.
When you create a template the sharing defaults to all account users and system administrators. System administrators can view all templates, this option cannot be changed. Administrators will only view templates if you have questions or need to troubleshoot issues.
You can change the setting to not share your template with all account users. This can be done by performing the steps below:
- For your template, click the dropdown arrow on the USE button.
- Go to option Share with Users.
- In the sharing screen, uncheck option Select All for the USERS section.
- In the sharing screen, go to the GROUPS section and the Everyone option should not be selected.
- In the sharing screen, click the SELECTED section and check the Everyone option is not listed.
- Click the Share button.
Note: If you need to share your template with a user. Type the user's name or email in the search field.
Please see Using Bulk Send for more information.
Users can view and download field data from any in process, completed, or voided envelope that is sent by you or is shared with you. Document text that is hidden with asterisks for privacy and security purposes is visible in the form data. Fields Signature, Initial, Approve and Decline are not data fields and therefore are not included in form data.
You can view form data from the Manage page or the Envelope details view. Also, envelope and recipient data can be downloaded for envelopes.
Envelope and Recipient Data such as:
- Envelope ID
- Document Subject
- Date Sent
- Decline and Void Information
- Recipient ID
- Recipient Name and Email
- Recipient Actions/Status (Viewed, Signed)
- Routing Number
Envelope Details View
- From the Manage page, put a check mark for the envelope you want to review.
- Click the dropdown arrow for the envelope and select Form Data.
- The envelope form data appears.
- Click the Download button at the bottom.
- Form data is exported to a CSV file and you can save it to your local drive.
- Repeat steps for each envelope you want to download form data.
Note Follow these steps if you're using Bulk Send.
- From the Manage page, put a check mark for each envelope you want to review.
- Click the dropdown arrow for the More button and select Export as CSV.
- Envelope and recipient data is exported to a CSV file and you can save it to your local drive.
- Repeat steps for the multiple envelopes you want to download envelope and recipient data.
- Add the new recipient to your template.
- Reset the signing order to include the new recipient.
- In your template, click Next to go to the section to add and assign fields to recipients.
- Select the fields you want to reassign by putting your cursor on a field and holding the shift key.
Note: Use Ctrl+G to select all fields on a current page. Click Actions to view shortcut keys.
- The right side bar will show the recipient that has the fields assigned. Click on it to reassign the fields to the new recipient.
6. After reassignment, check the field properties such as data label to make sure all is correct. If not, update the field properties as needed.
7. Save and close your template.
8. Go back to your template and click Edit. Remove the old recipient. No message should appear about removal of fields if recipient is deleted.
9. In your template, click Next and check again the new recipient still has the correct fields and properties assigned.
10. Save and close your template.
11. Now, fields have been reassigned to another recipient.
- Working with Templates
- Add Fields to Documents
- Using PowerForms
- PowerForms vs Templates
- Responsive Signing
- Responsive Signing, where you can preview your documents across different device types i.e. tablet, mobile view.
- This will allow recipients to view your documents more easily on their mobile devices.
- Minimum System Requirements Needed to Sign with DocuSign
- Integration setup and testing must be done first in a sandbox. You can get a free developer sandbox account from DocuSign. To create an account, see DocuSign's Developer Sandbox
- For more information about DocuSign's APIs and developer resources, see DocuSign's Developer Center
- Check out the developer blog series, see DocuSign's Developer Blog Series
Please send phishing emails to DocuSign's security team at email@example.com.
Here are some tips to help spot the difference between real and spoof DocuSign emails:
- All URLs to view or sign DocuSign documents will contain “docusign.net/” and will always start with https.
- All legitimate DocuSign envelopes include a unique security code at the bottom of notification emails. If you don't see this code, then don’t click on any links or open any attachments within the email. Forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DocuSign Overview.
- For more information on how to do a specific DocuSign task, visit the DocuSign User Guide.
- To understand and watch how DocuSign works, visit How DocuSign Works.
- Contact the IS&T Service Desk
|Additional escalation information for Help Staff can be found here: