Be aware that the process can take 20 minutes or more. You may be required to restart your computer when done.
Before you start the installation, do the following preparatory steps:
- Ensure that your operating system has the mit.edu DNS suffix. [Learn how].
- If you are off campus, connect to the MIT VPN. See http://vpn.mit.edu, or download the VPN software from IS&T.
- Download the Office 2019 installer, MicrosoftOffice2019x86_Setup.exe (32-bit) or MicrosoftOffice2019x64_Setup.exe (64-bit), from the download site.
Note about Office 2019
The Office 2019 installer utilizes Microsoft's click-to-run technology. The installer file that you've download is only a few MBs. The actual components for Microsoft Office will be downloaded on demand.
- Double click the downloaded exe file. If a dialog box appears asking Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?, click Yes.
- Have patience. Setup will begin to extract and start the installation process.
- You will see the installation process progress
- You'll be notified when the installation is complete.
- Click Close and open your Start menu. You will see all your Office apps in the recently installed section at the top of your Start Menu.