|Do not use MIT GUEST|
You cannot use the MIT GUEST wireless network to print to the Pharos printers.
If your computer is connected via WiFi, you must be connected to the MIT SECURE wireless network.
On this page:
These instructions will step you through installing the Pharos Popup client software on your Mac. This will allow you to print to the Pharos printers from your Mac even if your Mac username is not the same as your MIT Kerberos username.
Note: If your Mac username is exactly the same as your MIT Kerberos username, it is easier to set up a new LPR printer on your Mac to print to Pharos. You do not need to install special Pharos software. You only need to follow the instructions in this article if your Mac username does not match your MIT Kerberos username.
- Download the installer for MacOS:
- Available on the IS&T Software Grid here.
- Find the file you downloaded in step one and double-click it to extract the disk image. The file will be called Popup-popup-9_0_1.dmg. Depending on your settings the disk image may mount automatically as a new disk. If it does not...
- Double-click the disk image you just extracted to mount the disk image. It will mount as a new disk called Popup.
- Double-click the installer file Popup.pkg to run the installer.
- Once the installer opens, follow the prompts to install Popup 9.0.1 and the required support files. The installer will also automatically configure 2 printers: bw and color.
- Mac OS 10.9 users only: Follow the Extra step to setup Pharos Popup on Mac OS X 10.9 Maverick
Whenever you print to either of the two printers configured by the installer, you will get a dialog box asking you to enter your MIT Kerberos Username and a Job Name for your print job. This is the information your job will be submitted to the Pharos server with so you can properly release it at the printer. Be careful to enter your MIT Kerberos username correctly, or you will be unable to release your jobs. For the Job Name field, you may enter any descriptive text (e.g. "My Thesis").
|Tip: Job Name can be left blank|
To save a step you can leave the job name blank and Pharos will use the document file name as submitted by your operating system. Just type your username and hit Enter...done!
- You can uninstall Pharos popup by navigating to Library > Application Support > Pharos > Utilities and running the Uninstaller found there
- While installing the latest version of the popup should upgrade the previous version automatically, if you have issues you should manually run the uninstaller before installing the newest version.
Note: Under normal circumstances, these printers should be configured automatically. Do not follow the instructions below unless you have successfully installed the Popup client and the printers were not automatically configured.
- Click on the Apple menu and select System Preferences...
- Select the Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) preference pane
- Click the + sign below the list of printers to add a new one
- You need to enable the Advanced tab in the Add Printer dialog:
- Hold down the Control Key on your keyboard and click anywhere on the toolbar
- From the popup menu that appears, select Customize Toolbar...
- Drag the Advanced icon to the toolbar and click Done to close the Customize Toolbar panel
- Click the added Advanced icon to switch to the Advanced tab and wait for it to appear.
- Choose or enter the following settings:
- Type: Pharos Print Server
- Device: Another Device
- URL: popup://mitprint.mit.edu/bw
- Name: MIT B&W Pharos Printers (or a similar descriptive name)
- Location: (Leave blank)
- Print Using: Generic PostScript Printer
(To configure the color printer, change bw to color in the URL above, and change the descriptive name accordingly.)
- Click the Add button.
- You will get an Installable Options dialog box:
- Check the box next to Duplex Printing Unit (all Pharos pilot printers have duplex units)
- Click Continue.
- Restart your Mac to finish the installation and setup process.
That's it. You should now see a new printer called "MIT B&W Pharos Printers" in your list of printers.