On this page:
This article applies to members of the MIT community that are looking for a way to archive or backup all of their MIT email. This can be useful to make sure you always have a copy of messages in case you accidentally delete one or more or if you're leaving MIT and want to have an archive before your email account is deactivated.
- A desktop email client, such as Outlook, Apple Mail, or Mozilla Thunderbird.
- All MIT students, faculty and staff can download MS Office from the IS&T software download page: http://ist.mit.edu/software/available-software
- It is possible to use any desktop email client that is IMAP-capable in lieu of Microsoft Outlook. This can be useful if you're already using Apple Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird, or if you are not a current student, faculty or staff member and are unable to download Microsoft Office.
- Know whether your MIT email account is on Exchange or Cyrus IMAP. Please see the following knowledge base article for more information: How do I tell if my email account is on Exchange or IMAP?
- Download MS Office
Visit the IS&T software download page and download Office 2010 if you're a Windows user or Office 2011 for Mac if you're on an Apple computer.
- Install MS Office
Install the application per the instructions on those pages. If you're on a PC, be sure to completely extract the ZIP file to a new folder before trying to install Office.
- Download the latest version of Mozilla Thunderbird from Mozilla.
Apple Mail comes included in all modern versions of Mac OS X. It can be found in the Applications folder.
- Archive email with Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, & 2016 on Windows (Microsoft article)
- Archive email with Outlook 2011 on Mac OSX
- Archive email with Outlook 2011 & 2016 on Mac OSX (Microsoft article)
- Copy email to local folders with Apple Mail
- Copy email to local folders with Thunderbird or http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/x/MC1B
- Export Outlook data from one machine to another
- Export or back up information for Macintosh with Outlook
- Backup and restore information for Windows with Outlook
- Backup or archive all MIT email to Gmail