Auto-configuration only works for MIT Exchange accounts. You can manually configure Outlook 2010 to connect to MIT's IMAP email system. The information you will need is:
- Your email address and password
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server (IMAP): your-mit-username.mail.mit.edu (Example: jdoe.mail.mit.edu).
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): outgoing.mit.edu
- Do not check "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)"
- Your outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
- Server Port Numbers
- Incoming: 993
- Outgoing: 465
- Type of Encypted Connection
- Incoming: SSL
- Outgoing: SSL
To manually configure Outlook:
- Start Outlook
- Follow the instructions in Microsoft's Add an e-mail account by using advanced settings
Be sure to enter all the authentication, server port, and encryption information provided above in step 6 of Microsoft's instructions.
- You may see an Internet Security Warning dialog box if you have not already installed an MIT CA Certificate for Internet Explorer. To prevent this security warning dialog from occuring each time you log on to Microsoft Outlook, install the MIT CA Certificate for Internet Explorer. For instructions on how to do this, see: Install the MIT CA (Certificate Authority) in Internet Explorer.