To enable SSL encryption between FileMaker Pro and FileMaker server, follow the instructions below.
Note: This information is accurate for FileMaker Server 16. Certain settings and features may differ for prior versions.
- Open the FileMaker Server Admin Console.
- In the left navigation bar, click on Database Server.
- In the Database Server pane, click the Security tab.
- Under SSL Connections, check the box for Use SSL for database connections.
- Under HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS), check the box for Use HSTS for web clients.
- Click Save at bottom.
- For SSL encryption to take effect, you must stop and restart FileMaker Server:
- In the left navigation bar, select Status.
- In the Status pane, click the icon in the upper-right to stop and restart the database server.
In conjunction with enabling SSL encryption, you should also request and install a custom SSL certificate on the server machine. For details, see FileMaker Server SSL Certificates