- I want to add my Moira list to my Outlook so I can send to my group, how do I do this?
- Can you help me setup my email list so it looks like the email comes from the list?
- How do I send mail FROM a mailing list when using Outlook 2016 with my Exchange account?
- How do I send mail with a "fake" FROM address in Outlook 2016 for Mac after I have switched to Exchange?
On this page:
- Sending mail using a mailing list or email alias as the listed FROM address
- Microsoft Exchange at MIT
- Outlook 2011 for Mac configured with an MIT Exchange account
MIT's Exchange environment does not allow outgoing mail with a "fake" FROM address. This prevents sending mail with a FROM address other than the individual sender's and also prevents the re-directing or "re-disting" of mail. However, there are easy work-around for every mail client program except the web-based Outlook Web Access.
The general solution is to set up your email account as IMAP in your mail program. Once you have added your account as an IMAP we can then change some settings to make it seem as if your list is sending emails (specifically this allows for sending mail from this "fake" FROM address via MIT's SMTP server, rather than via the Exchange environment). This second account can be configured alongside the personal Exchange account. As an added benefit, this will still allow you to use authenticated SMTP to send these messages, preventing them from being flagged as spam and maintaining the ability to verify the sender of the message.
- In Outlook (for Mac), go to Preferences > Accounts. Make sure only your Exchange account is listed there.
- Click and hold the + sign in the lower left, and select Email/Other Email/Account... from the list that pops up.
- You will be setting this up as an IMAP account.
- Fill in the fields like so:
User name: <your kerberos name>
Incoming server: imap.mit.edu
Check the 'Use SSL" checkbox
Outgoing server: outgoing.mit.edu
Check the 'Use SSL" checkbox and check the Override default port checkbox and enter '587' as the port number.
Then click Add Account.
- Once the "modal" window goes away, now you're looking at the Preferences/Accounts window again. Select your IMAP account from the list on the left, if it isn't already selected. Under Account Description, enter "firstname.lastname@example.org" (without the quotes), and under Full Name, put the name of the list. Under E-mail address enter the email address of the list itself.
- Compose a new message in Outlook 2016 the way you normally would.
- Since you have multiple accounts set up for sending now, there will actually be a drop-down menu below/or above the From line, showing your accounts.
- Select the "For Sending Only" account identifier from the drop-down menu
That's it! Your message is sent with the "fake" FROM address you specified, authenticated through MIT's SMTP server. From now on, to send from this mailing list FROM address, all you need to do is compose a new message and select the sender in the From line.
Note: Drafts, queued messages, and sent messages from this address will be saved in your local ("On My Mac") "Drafts", "Outbox", and "Sent" folders.