On this page:
This Mastercam installation procedure is only authorized for faculty/staff/student users at MIT.
- You will not need to register with Mastercam or download anything from their web site.
- Running Mastercam this way requires that you maintain network connectivity, and requires use of the MIT VPN if you are off the MIT campus.
|The non-IS&T Mastercam license server at MIT has been shut down. You will need to switch over to the IS&T server in order to run Mastercam.|
|The IS&T license server is backwards compatible to at least Mastercam X6.|
To switch an existing Mastercam installation that has been running off a non-IS&T license server to the IS&T server, edit the nethasp.ini file located in the appropriate mcamn folder (where n is your Mastercam version; for Mastercam 2018, this is C:\Program Files\Mcam2018\nethasp.ini) as follows: in the [NH_TCPIP] section near the bottom of the file, locate the lines starting with NH_SERVER_ADDR, NH_PORT_NUMBER, NH_SESSION and NH_SEND_RCV and edit them as shown here.
- Download the appropriate Mastercam installation archive from the Software Grid.
- Open the iso file to access its contents (Windows 8 and 10 support this natively; on older Windows versions various utilities can do this. A free one that works on all Windows versions is Virtual CloneDrive which you can obtain here).
- Run the installer. When presented with a configure button, click it and set SIM Type to NetHASP.
- At the end of the installation, deselect the run Mastercam option and exit the installer.
- edit the nethasp.ini file located in the appropriate mcamn folder (where n is your Mastercam version; for Mastercam 2018, this is C:\Program Files\Mcam2018\nethasp.ini) as follows: in the [NH_TCPIP] section near the bottom of the file, locate the lines starting with NH_SERVER_ADDR, NH_PORT_NUMBER, NH_SESSION and NH_SEND_RCV and edit them as shown here.
If you're installing Mastercam for SolidWorks 2018 the nethasp.ini file is C:\Program Files\McamForSW2018\nethasp.ini. Other releases follow a similar pattern. Make sure the NH_SERVER_ADDR, NH_PORT_NUMBER, NH_SESSION and NH_SEND_RCV lines do not begin with a semicolon, otherwise they will be commented out. If at launch you get an error message like SIM not found, open the Start Menu and select All Programs -> Mastercam n (where n is your Mastercam release), and launch NHasp X (in X7 and later this will be in a Utilities subfolder). Make sure SIM type is set to NetHASP and Mode is set to Network and click OK.
Do not attempt to launch the application until all the updates are installed and you have copied the nethasp.ini file into the mcamx6 folder.
- Install the base Mastercam install first.
- During the initial install you will be asked the following questions. Provide these corresponding answers:
- Language: English
- Username: (Your login or actual name)
- Organization: MIT
- Sim Type: NetHasp
- Default Units: Inch
- Install the Mastercam maintenance update 2.
- Install the Mastercam maintenance update 3.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\mcamx6 folder, and paste the “nethasp.ini” file into the folder. Replace the existing file.
- From your Start menu, launch Mastercam by clicking on All Programs.
- Scroll down to the Mastercam X6 folder and click Mastercam X6.
Note: Do not select the Mastercam Launcher.
- If you get a “SIM not found" error message, go back to your Start menu > Mastercam X6 folder and launch NHasp X.
- Make sure the “Net Hasp” bullet is active. If not, select it and click OK.
Mastercam should now launch. This initial launch will create the file structure where the Course Specific Files will be distributed. Students enrolled in 2.008 can now follow the instructions posted on the 2.008 course website to load the Course Specific files shared with you through Dropbox by the lab instructor.