On this page:
- Sending mail using a mailing list or email alias as the listed FROM address
- Microsoft Exchange at MIT
- Apple Mail (version 7.3) for the Mac configured with an MIT Exchange account
MIT's Exchange environment does not allow outgoing mail with a "fake" FROM address. This prevents sending mail with a FROM address other than the individual sender's and also prevents the re-directing or "re-disting" of mail. However, there are easy work-arounds for every mail client program except the web-based Outlook Web Access.
The general solution is to set up a separate email account in your mail program specifically for sending mail with this "fake" FROM address via MIT's SMTP server, rather than via the Exchange environment. This second account can be configured alongside the personal Exchange account. As an added benefit, this will still allow you to use authenticated SMTP to send these messages, preventing them from being flagged as spam and maintaining the ability to verify the sender of the message.
- Launch Apple Mail
- Go to the "Mail" menu and select "Preferences", and then "Accounts"
- Click on the "+" in the list of accounts
- Select "Add Other Mail Account" and click "Continue"
- In the new window, put in your name, and the mailing list that you want to use. Put in a fake password. Click "Create".
- It will tell you that the account must be manually configured. Click "Next".
- Select IMAP, and put in a fake mail server. (This account will not receive email, but it will be able to send it, and you will be able to use this account as a sender in your normal account.) Click "Next".
- It will tell you that additional account information is required. Click "Next" again.
- You can skip filling in these fields. Click "Next" again.
- For the outgoing mail server, use the following settings, and then click "Create"
- SMTP Server: outgoing.mit.edu
- User Name: your username
- Password: your password
- The account will be listed now. You can change the description to something else.
- Close the window, and tell it to save the changes
- Now, when you open a new composition window, the From address will have multiple choices, including your new From address.