On this page:
BrioQuery 6.6 includes a variety of improvements and new features that IS&T supports.
The look and feel of the interface has changed significantly. The workspace is a multipaned window:
- Section tabs have been moved into a section pane that appears on the left side of the workspace.
- The table catalog is now in a catalog pane, below the section pane, rather than a free-floating window.
- The items in the catalog pane change depending upon which section is active. For example, in the Results section, it's a list of the Request items.
- The various panes can be resized and turned off and on.
- The Outliner is now in an Outliner pane at the bottom of the window. An Outliner has been added to the Results section, replacing the Request line. You can pull out the Outliner as a free-floating pane, however if you navigate to another section, the Outliner will not reflect this. The header and footer switches in version 5.5 are now accessible via context-sensitive menus. control-click (Mac) or right-click (Windows) on an item in the Outliner to turn them off and on.
- Links appear at the top of the Section title bar for turning off and on the display of the Outliner, sort and limit lines.
- Blank pivot, chart and report sections are not available in a new Brio file. You need to create them, as needed, by going to the Insert menu.
The queries can access different databases. The Process button produces a popup list giving options for how to process multiple queries, i.e., the active query, all queries, or a custom selection.
Note: The order in which multiple queries are processed is the order in which you create them; that is, you can't specify an order for processing.
When running multiple queries, you may have a duplication of data in your results. You can remove duplicates by sorting the results and then create computed items to remove the duplicates.
You can create reports by drawing data from multiple sources. Be sure to read "Multiple Data Source Reporting" in the online help for guidelines on how to create reports.
A Tables section has been added that gives you more features for displaying and printing tabular data. The contents are inherited from the Results section. You can create multiple tables. If you select a Table, then insert a new one, the new table will be based on the one selected.
Files that you create and save in BrioQuery version 6 cannot be opened in version 5.5.
- Computed items you create in the Results section appear in the list of Request items in the Results and Table section. They do not appear italicized as in BrioQuery 5.5, but with the computed item name in parentheses.
- To view and/or modify a computed item in the Query section, click on it in the Request line and then click on the Properties icon.
- Computed items created in the Results section appear in the Results Outliner. In BrioQuery for Windows, they appear in blue on a color monitor.
- To view and/or modify a computed item created in the Results section, select the column of data, then control -click (Mac) or right-click (Windows) and choose Modify Column...
A new command called "Drill Anywhere" replaces the "Drill Down" command and lets you go down into and add items to Charts and Pivot reports to easily answer additional questions and view hypothetical situations.
The Detail report has been replaced by the Report Designer. Using the Report Designer, you can create free-form reports that are similar to the Detail report. When converting BrioQuery 5.5 files, Detail Reports will go over as snapshots. You can modify and rerun queries to produce updated Detail reports, but you can't change the formatting of a Detail report, e.g., font, font size, column width, add or delete items.
You can convert Detail reports into version 6 format by going to Detail> Convert to Report, however the results can be disappointing. In most cases, it is better to rebuild the report using the Report Designer.
Features of the Report Designer are:
- The Outliner is divided into three sections, as before, but with new names:
- Report Group replaces the document area
- Table dimensions replaces the left side of the Body area.
Note: Dimensions, in this instance, is not the same as Dimension tables
- Table facts replaces the right side of the Body area, ie.., where you place items for which you want a total
- Rulers, section boundaries, grid lines and zooming are available for fine-tuning your report. A Page Layout mode lets you view the report pagination, margins, headers and footers.
- Print Preview is not included in the Report Designer. By default, the Report Designer displays in Page View that directly represents what will be printed.
Note: There is no grey area indicating the non-printable area as there is in version 5.5.
New statistical functions have been added:
- Rank descending and ascending
- Standard deviation of a sample
- Standard deviation based on the entire population
The menus, and commands under them, have changed. Some commands have been moved to different menus and commands have been added.
Highlights of changes:
- The "Process Query" command has been moved to the "Tools" menu and the button has a new look.
- The "Modify..." command has been replaced with other commands:
- Query section: go to View > Properties...
- Results section: go to Results > Modify Column...
- Pivot section: go to Pivot > Modify...
- Chart section: go to Chart > Properties..
- Report section: use the Format menu to change the Font and Style
- "Preferences" from the Edit menu is now called "Options" and is found under the Tools menu.
- The "Detail" menu has been replaced with the "Report" menu that contains commands for using the Report Designer.
The buttons on the toolbars have changed and the "Draw" toolbar has been removed:
- The "Modify" button has been removed from the Standard toolbar. In its place is the "Properties" button that is context sensitive; i.e., it's grayed out when not applicable.
- The "Outliner" button has been replaced with links in each section for turning off and on either the entire Outliner, or parts of it.
- The "Draw" toolbar has been removed. The icons from the Draw toolbar appear on the Formatting toolbar when in the Report section. Also in the Report section is a Graphics folder in the Catalog pane with tools for drawing.