Apple provides the Device Enrollment Program (DEP) as a way of deploying institute-owned Mac or iOS devices. This process works by technicians providing the serial number of any Mac they would like enrolled into the DEP program to IS&T. IS&T will then upload the serial number to Apple and assign it to the correct Mobile Device Management (MDM) server. Once the computer has been booted, it will automatically receive any policies that have been supplied by the MDM server.
IS&T provides DEP as a service to the MIT community in conjunction with either IS&T's MDM server (Jamf Pro) or your department's own MDM server if you have one. If you are interested in our Jamf Pro offering, please visit our Jamf Pro page for more information. There is no cost associated with either the DEP or Jamf Pro service.
Please note machines must be purchased through an official MIT channel for this to work and it must have been purchased after March 2011.
IS&T will also provide training and one-on-one time for both DEP and Jamf Pro if requested.
If you would like to enroll computers or have any questions regarding DEP they should be emailed to email@example.com.
- EPM team enrolls your Mac into DEP program and confirms your machine is enrolled.
- Boot your new or re-imaged Mac (not before above step!)
- Go through the Out of Box Experience. You must connect to the wireless SSID "MIT" or be on an already registered dongle.
- You will then see a screen that says Configured by MIT. If you do not see this screen, contact the EPM team to double check enrollment.
If you missed the Configured by MIT screen
- On macOS High Sierra, run sudo profiles renew -type enrollment
- On Sierra, run sudo /usr/libexec/mdmclient dep nag
- If those commands do not work and you are running Sierra or older, try these commands from Terminal and then reboot. Your machine will go through the Out Of Box Experience again and should prompt for DEP enrollment.
- sudo rm -rf /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
- sudo rm -rf /var/db/ConfigurationProfiles
- sudo rm -rf /Library/Keychains/apsd.keychain
- Create an account and log in. The below policies will apply if you are using IS&T Jamf Pro.
- Software Installs
- Kerberos Extras
- Identity Finder
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Reader
- Cisco VPN
- Google Chrome
- Apple Software Updates
- Enable Filevault 2 file encryption
- Add dock icons for Office, Firefox, and Crashplan
- Enable firewall
- Create a local admin account
- Change hostname to serial number
- Set password policy to minimum 8 characters
- Force password change on next login
- Configure 802.1x authentication for ethernet
- Software Installs
When setup is complete, the computer will shut down, and the user will be prompted to change their password and begin encryption the next time they log in.
You can also set up machines to have additional software/scripts/printers installed through our Jamf offering, or your own MDM policies if you have an MDM server.
Machines that will be leaving your ownership should be removed from DEP. Send any serial numbers to IS&T for removal. A machine can only be enrolled in DEP once so once removed it can never be added again. Please note this is an Apple limitation that may or may not change in the future.