|This how-to is for informational purposes only. Unintentional wiping of your device, and accidental loss of data is your responsibility. We recommend backing up your data on a regular basis.
Additionally, in order for remote wipe using OWA to work, your Windows 10 Mobile device will need connectivity to your cellular carrier. Therefore, you will need to use this functionality prior to canceling or suspending your service with your cellular carrier. This remote wipe feature will also work if your device is connected to Wi-Fi, however, once the device is out of range of a known Wi-Fi connection and loses network connectivity, you will lose the ability to initiate a remote wipe.
These instructions will enable you to wipe the data from your Windows 10 Mobile device and restore it to factory settings in case your device is stolen or your device has been misplaced or lost.
|Remote wipe with Find My Phone|
You can also remote wipe your device with Find My Phone
- You will need an MIT Exchange account. If you do not yet have an MIT Exchange account, please send an email to email@example.com. If you are currently using MIT's IMAP email service, your email and calendar entries will be migrated to the Exchange server.
- You will need to add your MIT Exchange account to your Windows 10 Mobile device. To do so, please use the directions on the following MIT documentation found here: Connecting Windows 10 Mobile to Exchange.
Once you've setup your MIT Exchange account on your Windows 10 Mobile device, you will be able to remotely wipe your device via OWA.
- Use your preferred browser to visit https://owa.mit.edu, and log in using your Kerberos username and password.
- On the top right, select Options and then select See All Options....
- Once you are in Options, select Phone from the pane on the left.
- Select your device from the list of registered devices and click Wipe Device.
Note: If you have more than one device set up using MIT Exchange that support remote wiping, you may have to discriminate between the devices listed based on serial numbers or other identifying information. Clicking Details while your device is selected will give you more information that may help you determine which device you'd like to wipe.
Result: A window should pop up asking you to confirm that you want to wipe all of the data from your device. Press OK.
Result: Your device should begin the wiping process.
- You will receive an email confirmation of the device wipe.
This process also resets any SD Card in the device. Any SD Card in the device will also be wiped.
|Once the remote wipe has been initiated, it cannot be stopped. Therefore, use this function at your own risk. If you were to find your Windows Phone after it had been wiped, you can always plug it back into your PC or Mac and use the Zune software or Windows Phone Connector to restore your data, assuming you've made a recent backup. If you need help restoring your data on a Windows Phone 7 device, please read http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/basics/restore-a-backup-to-my-phone.aspx|