|IS&T recommends using MIT SECURE instead of the regular MIT wireless network unless your network card, operating system or device does not support the WPA2 Enterprise security method. The MIT network will eventually be phased out.|
- From the Start menu, choose Control Panel.
Result: The Control Panel window opens.
- If the Control Panels are set to Category View (approximately 11 icons listed), click the option in the upper left corner of the window labeled Classic View.
Result: The Control Panel appears in Classic View, more similar to the way it looked in earlier Windows operating systems.
- Double-click the Network and Sharing Center icon.
Result: The Network and Sharing Center window opens.
- From the Tasks list on the left, select Manage wireless networks.
Result: The Manage wireless networks that use (Wireless Network Connection 2) window opens.
- Click on Add.
Result: The "How do you want to add a network?" window opens.
- Select Add a network that is in range of this computer.
Result: The Select a network to connect to window opens.
- Select the MIT wireless network that is listed and click Connect.
Result: The "MIT is an unsecured network" window opens.
- Select Connect Anyway.
Result: Windows Vista will now attempt to connect to the MIT network.
Result: When you are successfully connected, the Successfully connected to MIT window opens.
- Check the boxes for Save this network and Start this network automatically. Click Close.
Result: When you are successfully connected, the "Manage wireless networks that use (Wireless Network Connection 2)" window opens showing that the MIT network is now listed in the list of available wireless networks.
- Close the Control Panel and open a browser to register your wireless network network card on the MIT network.
Result: You will be directed to the DHCP registration page.
- On this web page, use the correct link to register your machine on the MIT network.
Result: The DHCP page opens.
- To continue, click Register.
Result: The Login window opens.
- Enter your Kerberos username and password. Click Register.
Result: The registration is complete and you will have network access within 15 minutes.