These instructions describe how to go into your control panel and configure your computer to use a particular IP address. Before following these instructions, you need to know which IP address you have been assigned. MIT affiliates can request IP addresses here.
- From the Start menu, choose Control Panel.
Result: The Control Panel window opens.
- Double-click the Network and Sharing Center icon.
Result: The Network and Sharing Center window opens.
- From the Tasks list on the left, select *Change adapter settings.
Result: The LAN or High Speed Internet window opens.
- Right click on the Local Area Connection icon and click Properties.
Note: Local Area Connections is the default name. You can change the name by right-clicking and selecting Rename.
Result: The Local Area Connection Properties window opens.
- Select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
Result: The Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window opens.
- Click on the Use the following IP address button.
Result: This activates the fields in the rest of the window and allows you to enter the necessary addresses.
- Complete the configuration fields as shown in the table below.
NOTE: This part of the configuration requires attention to detail, because one typo will prevent you from getting on the network. Be sure you have this information at hand when you start to configure the TCP/IP protocol:
Field : Required Setting
- IP Address : 18.x.y.z (where x,y, and z are numbers)
- Subnet mask : 255.255.0.0
- Default gateway : 18.x.0.1 (Where x matches the x in your IP address)
- DNS (Domain Name Servers) : 18.104.22.168 , 22.214.171.124 , 126.96.36.199
- Enter these numbers in the appropriate fields and click OK.
- Continue to click OK or Close as appropriate until you return to the Network Connections screen. The Local Area Connection icon text should now say "Enabled".
- Test your TCP/IP Settings: Launch your web browser. If you have completed the configuration successfully, the browser opens at your designated home page. If you have not completed the configuration, you will receive an error message that says that your browser was unable to connect properly. Go back and check your settings.