|Check the Yosemite Known Issues Page in the IS&T Knowledge Base for software compatibility. Staff should check with their department’s IT support provider to determine when to upgrade.|
|Before performing any upgrade, always back up your computer using Crashplan or the backup system provided by your local IT support provider (local Time Machine backup, etc.).|
- OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or later
- 8 GB of available disk space
- 2 GB of RAM
- Administrator account access
- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- Xserve (Early 2009)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
- Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
Installation can take 40 minutes or more to complete.
- Obtain Yosemite via the IS&T download grid.
Before upgrading on their own, departmental users should first check with their local IT support regarding the roll-out plan of any new operating system.
- Double click the installer DMG from your download folder.
- When the DMG opens, double click OS X Yosemite Launcher.
- You will see the Yosemite Launcher Welcome Screen, click OK to begin. The install files will now copy to the Applications folder and automatically launch the installer.
- From the window labeled Install OS X select the button labeled Continue.
- When presented with the license agreement, click Agree.
- Click Agree again from the slide-down screen.
- Select a drive to install OS X Yosemite on (if you only have one disk available on your Mac, you don't have to select anything) and click Install.
- Enter the username and password for your user account when prompted and select OK.
Note: Account must have a password, if user does not have a password, one must be set in System Preferences at this time
- The application will now download the installation files.
- Once these files have been downloaded, you can either click Restart to restart your Mac or it will restart automatically after a set period of time.
- Upon restart, OS X Yosemite will begin installing. You cannot use your computer during this time.
- When the installation has completed, your computer will automatically restart.
Result: OS X Yosemite (10.10) has been successfully installed.
To learn what's new in OS X Yosemite, visit Apple's Yosemite page.
For additional Yosemite documentation, visit the Yosemite landing page in the Knowledge Base.