On this page:
You must be logged in with administrator rights to install Sophos AntiVirus.
You may see cosmetic differences in the install process depending on what version you're using.
- Download the Sophos installer from the Software Grid (certificates required).
- Double-click the download named mit-sophos-av-osx.dmg to open the disk image.
Result: a window named MIT Sophos Antivirus opens.
- Double-click the file named Sophos Anti-Virus.mpkg.
Result: The Sophos installer opens.
- Click Continue to accept the warning that "This package will run a program to determine if the software can be installed" and allow the installer to run.
- Click Continue on the Introduction / Welcome screen.
- Click Continue after you review the Read Me/Important Information.
- Click Continue after you read the Software License Agreement.
- Click Agree to continue installing the software.
- Enter a Mac administrator username and password.
- Wait for the installer to finish.
- Click Continue after reviewing the Completion screen.
- You are done! Click Close.
Unapproved Caller. Security Agent may only be invoked by Apple software.
This error is usually caused by a computer that is preparing to/needs to be rebooted before the software can be installed. Try rebooting and running the installer again.
When installation is finished, Sophos will check for updates. You can see a shield icon in the menubar with an animated arrow indicating that Sophos is downloading updates:
When sophos is fully updated, the menu-bar icon showing that Sophos is protecting your system is a shield with an "S" inside:
Sophos Anti-Virus comes with an uninstaller in case you want to remove it (we hope that you won’t). Simply run the Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg installer in /Library/Sophos Anti-Virus/ .
Look in the Help menu for Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac help. Click here to learn more about Sophos Anti-Virus.