On this page:
Trying to sign into SAPgui, but get error window:
Set ATHENA.MIT.EDU as the default realm for Kerberos tickets
This error message often indicates that your Kerberos tickets are for a realm other than ATHENA.MIT.EDU. In some areas of MIT, such as CSAIL or the Media lab, Kerberos tickets may be configured with a default realm of CSAIL.MIT.EDU or MEDIA.MIT.EDU. This will prevent access to SAP, and cause the above error.
Follow these steps to check whether you have Kerberos tickets for more than one realm, and which tickets are set as the default:
- Launch the MIT Kerberos Ticket Manager by following the menu path: Start > Kerberos for Windows > MIT Kerberos Ticket Manager.
- Your credentials will be listed. If there are credentials for more than one realm, the default ticket will be bolded.
- If you do not need Kerberos tickets for the other realm, you can set the ATHENA.MIT.EDU tickets to be the default.
See: Set ATHENA.MIT.EDU realm as default for Kerberos credentials
If you are unsure whether you need Kerberos tickets for the other realm, talk with your local technical support staff. If needed, the IS&T Help Desk can work with the local technical support person to find the best solution.
For win.mit.edu machines, ensure that you are logged in to ATHENA.MIT.EDU domain
- On login, select ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Kerberos realm).
- Consultants have seen the above error message result when users select the WIN option at login on a win.mit.edu machine.
- If you are logging in to the local machine, make sure that you enter your MIT Kerberos account username (the part of your MIT email address before the @mit.edu), and that the default realm for the Kerberos tickets is ATHENA.MIT.EDU (see instructions above).