Prevent Mac OS X 10.7 and above from trying to connect to MIT's 802.1x network when using a wired connection
- Users are presented with an 802.1x login screen when trying to acquire an IP address on MIT's wired network.
- A feature in Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), and OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) is erroneously attempting to auto-configure your Mac to use MIT's 802.1x server.
- Connectivity is never achieved.
- Navigate to System Preferences.
- Select Network.
- In the left-hand column, select Ethernet (Note: Those with Mac Pros may see multiple Ethernet listings).
- In the lower right-hand corner of the network window, select Advanced.
- Select the tab labeled 802.1x and toggle the check-box labeled Enable Automatic Connection so that it is not checked.
- Click OK then click Apply.
- Reboot your Mac for changes to take effect.
For more information on how Mac OS X Lion and Mountain Lion handle 802.1x networks, see Apple's knowledge base article.