The Polycom VVX 401 phones are a replacement for the IP 430 model, which are being replaced across the Institute from November 2017 through spring of 2018.
This article explains the main features of the phone.
On this page:
Your phone has three main views: Home, Calls, and Lines.
Switch between the three views by pressing the Home key.
Lines view is your phone’s default display. Lines view displays your phone line(s), monitored lines (if BLF Keys are available), your favorites, and soft keys in the soft key area.
Home view displays icons for your phone line, messages, settings and other information.
- New Call: Select New Call to display the Dialer so you can place a call.
- Messages: Select Messages to access your voicemail.
- Directories: Select Directories to access your Contact Directory, Favorites, and Recent Calls list.
- Forward: Select Forward to set up forwarding options for incoming calls.
- DND: Select DND to toggle DND (Do Not Disturb) on or off. When DND is enabled, your phone won’t ring and incoming calls will go to voice mail.
- Settings: Select Settings to access phone features and settings to customize your phone.
- Applications: Select Applications to access a menu of custom applications. See your administrator for information about any specific applications listed in this menu.
You can only access Calls view if your phone has multiple calls in progress, or if you have one held call. Use the up and down arrow keys to see the calls. If your phone has
multiple lines, calls display under the associated line.
Call color indicates status:
- Dark green---Active call
- Bright blue---Incoming call
- Dark blue---Held call
Use the up and down arrow keys to highlight a call. The soft keys apply to the highlighted call.
Press the Home button to return to the Home view from any screen.
Press the left arrow key to return to the previous screen, or exit any option without selecting anything.
To select a menu item or option, use the up and down arrow keys to highlight the item, and then press Select or other appropriate soft key.
|If an item in a list has a number next to it, you can press the corresponding number on the keypad to select the item.|
You can use the handset, speaker, or a headset (if installed) for calls. During a call, change modes by picking up the handset, or by pressing the speaker or headset button.
To place a call:
Pick up the handset/press the speaker or headset button. Enter the phone number, and press Send.
Enter the number first, then press Dial, and then pick up the handset/press speaker or headset button.
Press New Call, enter the number, press Send.
|Recently dialed numbers will automatically display after picking up the handset, pressing the speaker/headset button, or pressing New Call. If you wish to redial one of those numbers, use the arrow key to navigate to the number you want to call, then press the Select key (in the middle of the arrow navigation keys) or Send.|
You can place any active call on hold.
To hold a call:
From Lines or Calls view, press Hold. If you’re in Calls view, be sure to highlight the call
To resume a held call:
From Lines view, press Resume. Note: If you have multiple lines and you press Resume,
the last call that you held—on any line—will be resumed.
From Calls view, use the up and down arrow keys to highlight the call, and then press Resume.
To transfer a call:
- From either Lines or Calls view, press Transfer. The active call is held.
- Dial the number of the person to whom you want to transfer the call.
- When you hear the line ringing, press Transfer to complete the transfer. Or, if you
want to talk with the person before the transfer completes, connect and talk with the
person, and then press Transfer. To cancel the transfer before the call connects, tap
To set up a conference call:
- Call the first person.
- From either Lines or Calls view, press More and then Confrnc. The active call is now on hold.
- Dial the number of the second person.
- When the second person answers, press More and then Confrnc to join everyone in a
If you have new messages that have not been listened to, the message indicator light will blink on your phone.
To check messages:
- Press the Messages (envelope) button to the left side of the keypad.
- Message Center should be selected on the screen, then press Select.
- The display will show how many Urgent, New, and Old messages are in your mailbox. Press Connect to proceed with accessing your messages.
- You will be prompted to enter your PIN.